Cultivated Reef

Are Clowns Racist?

RDB

Does anyone have any experience, or educated guesses, as to whether a black false-perc will get along with an ordinary orange one? My black one seems lonely but I would like a variety.

There shouldn't be any problem in mixing them. They may pair off, they may not. Clownfish are one of the rare fish that can spontaneously change sex in response to a lack of males/females in the environment, but they usually do this as juveniles. If you wanted to pair them up for possible breeding, get a juvenile clown as a potential partner.

Breeding him would be ironic since the only reason I have him is that the person who ordered him (and some other black ones) to the lfs was a breeder and left him because he didn't want to breed one who was missing the middle stripe on one side.

matt the fiddler

male to female change of sex. with 2 girls one will get killed- once they are a girl they stay that way forever.. make sure you either have a lowere in teh pecking order non domant fish from a established family.. or a young clownfish that hasn't had time to hit sexual maturity. a mature clownfish left alone turns into a girl. [so basicly you haeva girl already]

The guys at the LFS said that he/she was about 2 months old, I've had him a week. Right now he/she is a little over an inch long. They have 1 1/2 month old false percs from a local breeder that I was hoping to get.

Here's a pic.

if it is truly only about 2 months old then it should still be a male. The false percs and the true perc may pair up, but I wouldn't expect any offspring out of the match. As far as the half bar goes it is a trait that many agree is not hereditary, but rather comes about as a result of water quality and eary diet during the larval and early fry stages. I have actually witnessed this in my clowns. When raised completely on recirc water they had a misbar rate of about 80%, but when I switched to raising them on flowthrough water they had a misbar rate of about 20%. This is anecdotal of course as I don't have actual data and stats to back this up. Just an observation.

matt the fiddler

"if it is truly only about 2 months old then it should still be a male"

auctually- it would be sexless. the cue to turn male, is a domanat female, without a lack of a male...

cue to turn female is the lack of one.. the research i have seen shows that they jump from sexless directly to female. [if they are mature] other than that- they stay sexless..

• 2 weeks later...

Archived