Coral Vue Hydros

sandman's 40br LED build, finished

bensanders

The TRP drivers are fully sealed, so don't worry about moisture with them. It's everything else you need to be concerned with. I wouldn't worry about the heat though. Higher temperatures will reduce overall lifetime, but not enough to worry about. The TRP drivers are rated for much longer life than the LEDs are rated for at room temperature. In that enclosure, they will still probably outlast the LEDs.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bensanders

Yeah the connections are what I would be worried about. Sounds like I don't need to do anything though.

Sidenote:

I started this build after I realized it would be a month before I received the AI Sol Blue I had ordered (they were on back order everywhere). I figured I would just go DIY and save money (which I did) and also get the light sooner. After researching for several weeks, I realized I wasn't getting this light any sooner than an AI Sol. However, the AI Sol I ordered was delivered to my door today, lol. Premium Aquatics told me to refuse the package, and UPS will ship it back to them. I will be receiving a full refund as soon as they receive the unit.

I'm still glad I went DIY. I learned a ton and saved some money too.

The zoas, frogspawn, and ricordea I've placed under the LEDs are loving it. So is the Maroon Clown and YWG, but who cares what they think :happy:

• 2 weeks later...
Paleoreef103

Great DIY. You said you were going to eventually add a controller to the system. What kind of controller do you think you're going to use?

• 2 weeks later...
Great DIY. You said you were going to eventually add a controller to the system. What kind of controller do you think you're going to use?

I haven't researched controllers much but I'm leaning towards a full blown Apex system. Companies are coming out with new controllers left and right though so it would probably be smart to wait awhile and see what happens in the market.

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering why the moonlights were added? Can't you simply dim the 28 RBs down to 5 or 10%? Thanks for the great build thread.

bensanders

The RB LEDs can only be dimmed to about 10%, which is too bright. The moonlight LEDs are also a completely different color spectrum and are a much deeper blue.

amazing build. What would you say the total cost for everything was? I secretly picked up a 40 breeder and want to do the same thing to it, but i'll need to know the cost of the light system so I can sneak a few peices into the "kids" tank budget lol.

Nice man!!! just came back from summer exchange and you did it all already! Looking great! What lenght is the heatsink? you're getting a nice coverage. I managed to save some $ from the trip and now I'm going all in into the 40b :)

bensanders
amazing build. What would you say the total cost for everything was? I secretly picked up a 40 breeder and want to do the same thing to it, but i'll need to know the cost of the light system so I can sneak a few peices into the "kids" tank budget lol.

Thanks. I think I ended up doing this for about $550-$600. Keep in mind I had to buy plenty of tools and supplies, some of which weren't completely necessary and were luxuries.

Nice man!!! just came back from summer exchange and you did it all already! Looking great! What lenght is the heatsink? you're getting a nice coverage. I managed to save some $ from the trip and now I'm going all in into the 40b :)

Thanks Sammy, the heatsink is 24" long.

very nice, 550-600 isn't that bad considering i can buy a few peices here and there. makes sneaking it into the kids tank budget all the easier! as long as the wife doesn't become wise to my crafty ways...that could spell doom lol

Just from the pics it didn't look like you were. Sorry.

No worries. The optics are tiny so that's understandable.

Nice.... Nice build!

Im planning on doing an LED build on my 29g tank when I decide what to get with it.

Thanks and good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Paleoreef103

Hey Ben. I got my light set up in a very similar fashion. I figured I'd share the PAR measurements with you so you can get an idea of how much pop you get out of this thing. Through the air, my apogee (which under represents PAR from the blue end of the spectrum) gives me the following readings. 42" is about 200 PAR, 36" is about 240-250 PAR, 30" is about 290 PAR, 24" is 340 PAR, and 12" hits about 550 PAR. You might have a bit more peak PAR as your LEDs are on a 24" heat sink to my 31" heat sink, but it shouldn't be too much of a difference. This thing wouldn't have a problem hitting 250 PAR at the bottom a 65 standard tank!

Now that its all done, AND IT LOOKS GREAT, do you think you could have gotten away with less LED's?

lol, yeah I could have gone with 2 less clusters. I'm not sure if the blending would be as good though. Overall, I'm glad I went with 42 LEDs.

Ben, how'd you attach the fans on the heatsink??? Got any pics?

The fans just rest on top of the heatsink, no attaching required :)

Nice set up, looks sharp

Thanks!

Hey Ben. I got my light set up in a very similar fashion. I figured I'd share the PAR measurements with you so you can get an idea of how much pop you get out of this thing. Through the air, my apogee (which under represents PAR from the blue end of the spectrum) gives me the following readings. 42" is about 200 PAR, 36" is about 240-250 PAR, 30" is about 290 PAR, 24" is 340 PAR, and 12" hits about 550 PAR. You might have a bit more peak PAR as your LEDs are on a 24" heat sink to my 31" heat sink, but it shouldn't be too much of a difference. This thing wouldn't have a problem hitting 250 PAR at the bottom a 65 standard tank!

Dude, sweet. I was wondering what the numbers would look like. I really can't believe how powerful these LEDs are, even though sometimes it doesn't appear that way to the eye. It's easy to bleach things.

Thanks for sharing, Paleo!

Nice and clean set up.

Thank you much

I'm sure to have suspicious neighbors...

30625e63.jpg

Yeah I enclosed mine in a canopy for that reason. I dont want my neighbors breaking into my house thinking they can steal some weed lol. And that would not e surprising in my neighborhood, trust me.

Archived