ReefCleaners.org

150/175W MH - simplest to buy?

treszoks

I am currently running 2x32 PCs on my 7gal minibow and I just upgraded it all to a 10 gallon tank and I want to get Metal Halide lighting. I am just curious what would be the best all-in-one to buy keeping in mind I don't have a hood for this new 10 gallon but I will need some protection to prevent any jumpers. Is there a good all-in-one that comes with everything prebuilt or am I stuck with a retrofit kit? I really don't want to go over $300.

Are the retrofit kits easy to put together? I've checked hellolights and marinedepot but I really want something that won't require a lot of DIY. Mainly I don't want to burn down the house because of faulty wiring on my part hehe.

In a perfect world I would build a three sided hood with just the front and two sides. On the back I have my skimmer and filter and will use plastic netting. That way the top can be open and my light can either hang on something or span part of the top of the hood.

theclearblue

you could try running a pendant over a glass top

PFO sells pendants that would fit the bill you've described although it would be 2 inches long. It would be pushing your budget if you buy the package deal with ballast, lamp, etc. http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp...dproduct=PF15PC (not sure why the price is $313, it says 299 on the screen to select it - just call them up I'm sure they'd honor 299)

Wiring it all up really will save you some money as you can buy the individual components at better prices. I think you could probably handle wiring it - most people are willing to give advice on wiring if you need help.

Archived