Coral Vue Hydros

new zoos

matt the fiddler

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
matt the fiddler

ok, got some pics that will be coming in the next few days. some are going up now..

i drilled a 10 gallon tank for a fuge.. and it cracked [hit the bulkhead hard] when installing it- so i got fed up and got a rubbermaid tub. drilled it- more tacky. but still works...

but for pics...

i have various shots .. some of these are 4 months apart from each other...

full tank before the drilling, 10 new corals, and 4 months ago

tank2.jpg

older shot from 6 months ago

fullshot1.jpg

realllly old shot form when i first moved to the 25 from the 10 gallon ha ha i love this pic...

early%20start.jpg

i had a nice mushroom split that i got. check these out..

ric%20split1.jpgric%20split%202.jpg

more to come.

matt the fiddler

here is the pic of the shroom before splitting, but with a big parasite flat worm infestation.

you can see it's green skirt well here...

matt the fiddler

and a close up macro shot of the bad worms.. [this was posted before by the way]

i nuked these suckers a month ago ;-)

Cellenzweig

Rubbermaid isn't a good idea. It leaches phosphates into the water. The only SW safe rubbermaid products are those designed for agricultural use (and they are pretty much impossible to get). If you want something that is safe, you need either polycarbonate or the white translucent plastic that is used in the food industry.

matt the fiddler

well, mine is not "rubbermaid"- another company.. kinda liek "baindaid" or "klenex" was pretty sure mine was food grade though....

i have seen tons of people use various rubbermaid products with no ill effects, and haven't heard of this before.. do you have another link or article on it? ran this q by a few know everything DIY people- they said no problem..

matt the fiddler

here are some pics of the fuge..

notice the ghetto stand form my roomies lumber scraps.. ha ha

rubbermaid tub after getting fed up drilling the 1st 10 gallon tank.. all perfect.. then when i carried into my room- banged the bulkhead on the door.. cracked the glass out.. arrrrrr. so i went to walmart. ha ha

simple gravity feed.. only 20 wats of 6.5K light on it now.. plannign to upgrade soon.. it is enough for a little aglae growth and xenia.... the GSP might get stuck there when i get fed up wiht it though.... p><p>Take this people who claim there is no safe way to convert a tank to be filled on it

http://www.nickelcreek.info/~matt/tank/fuge%20001.jpg' alt='fuge%20001.jpg'>

see the only place where the skimmer would fit?

fuge%20003.jpg

L side view of the tank w/ totally tempoary hood HA HA

fuge%20004.jpg

fuge%20005.jpg

here you see the pump. rio 400 or so.. yea yea. i knwo rios are bad.. all i got for now though...

fuge%20006.jpg

return to tank. could be done more efficiently.. only cement joint is the purple. those were the elbows i threw together to stop the gurgling...

fuge%20007.jpg

and the drain on the fuge top view. as of now- i jsut relocated all my macro algae up there- and some sand. hoping to get a massive algae garden up there- wiht a lot of LR. some high LR needing creatures are on my list of thigns i want to keep ...

fuge%20008.jpg

Cellenzweig
i have seen tons of people use various rubbermaid products with no ill effects, and haven't heard of this before.. do you have another link or article on it? ran this q by a few know everything DIY people- they said no problem..

To be honest with you, I can't back this up in any way. I have read it in various forums, heard it from a reef shop and know a guy who had issues with them. He was using rubbermaid garbage cans as sumps. Shortly after starting to use them he had phosphate problems. After hearing that they are unsafe for SW, he switched the acrylic sumps and hasn't had a problem since. (After quite a few water changes).

I'm pretty sure the stuff you are using is the right stuff. If you go to restaurants, you'll see they always use translucent or white bins for food. Maybe the dyes leach? You can check out this thread. In the last post, the guy says he thinks that's the problem. Very similar situation to my friends.

http://www.aquariumpros.ca/forums/showthre...id&pagenumber=6

Gotta go right now, but I'll try to do some research into it later. Personally, I would play it safe and buy the clear or white ones. They're probably cheaper anyways.

matt the fiddler

oh, you mean grey rubbermaid?

or rubbermaid in general?

i knwo they need to be washed out well before use- the chemicals used so the plasitc does not stick to the mold when coming out....

my brand is.... sterilite,

and the best part of it was [Kracker, this is for you] the warning not to keep kids in it- because they wouldn't have enough air. [along wiht a picture of a 1 year old in the bin]

wow

Cellenzweig
and the best part of it was [Kracker, this is for you] the warning not to keep kids in it- because they wouldn't have enough air. [along wiht a picture of a 1 year old in the bin]
It very specifically says "kids". Toddlers clearly require less air and can be stored in sterelite for long periods of time. :P
  • 2 weeks later...
matt the fiddler

man , anyone else love the $1.49 deal for LR rubble from premium. [fully cycled if you knwo where to pull it form the bins...] pretty descent sized chuncks/ pretty much hand picked. mmm

my fuge is turning into a zoo farm. gona put another 10 pounds of the rubble at least up the fuge.. and get some more wattage on the lights.... 20 watts of 65k doesn't grow algae fast at all....

matt the fiddler

i love sps, don't get me wrong.. but i think that some softies get overlooked for their cool factor.. in the search for more awesome corals... best part is none of the corals in the pics came from mail order or LFS [other than the xenia which i have purposly not put in any pics]... all were locally aquired form other reefers

Cellenzweig

I'm personally not a huge fan of SPS. I like the softies MUCH better! This is one of my favorite tanks - all softies...

full.jpg

It belongs to Archie, the guy who started Canadian Reef. It just goes to show you what can be done with moderate lighting (just VHOs).

matt the fiddler

is that what, a 40 L? do you have a link to a website?

my tank woudl have a few years before it would grow out like that- unless i let the GSP take over.. then we are talking 3 months

the purple aqua zoos far bottom left... mmm. i have had my eye on that color set for a few months...

Cellenzweig

Yep... it's www.canadianreef.com I think it's a 65g...

I don't know if you saw the $400 pink yuma ric on ebay, but Archie is the one who ended up getting it. (I think he pretty much traded the guy for a shopping spree at Canadian Reef)

LoL! GSP is taking over my nano!

matt the fiddler

what i have done for gsp [but been closely watching my nits and ammonia] is take the big 7 pound rock it is on.. and rotate it slowly under.. every 2 months or so lol the gsp is back right corner/ side.. and i figue the rotation will drown it out/ kill it off from lack of light when it is on the bottomw [or weight] etc. all i care is it stays away from my sps. adn this has kept it at bay for a bit..

if at some point that whole rock is covered.. i frag it with a hammer and sell it..

Archived