Cultivated Reef

20 gallon long: What kind of lights?? + Houston question

deviousrhesus

deviousrhesus

The lighting guide says 24" florescent lights are a good size, but they don't give you wattage or color spectrum info. With a relatively shallow 20 gallon long, what would be a good hood and light? I'm trying to get the hardware for kinda cheap, so good longevity is important.

Thanks from an ultra newbie!

deviousrhesus

Also, anyone know where I can get live rock in the Houston area? And a stupid question, what does it mean when someone says their tank cycled in only 8 days?

Reefer_Buddha

sorry but usually going cheap on your lighting means youll pay for it in the future. Its probably one of the most important parts of your tank and its in your best interest to get the most for what you can afford and not skimp.

Over my 20 long I have 2x 55 watt PC actinics and 1x175 watt MH. This setup ran me around $350 till it was all said and done. But now I have light that just about any light loving invert will thrive under.

I think the 2x65 PC bulb is a great light for 20L. It is a shallow tank so that should give lots of light. Unless you really wanna go heavy on the sps / clams, I would go with that.

deviousrhesus
Originally posted by Isaka

I think the 2x65 PC bulb is a great light for 20L.  It is a shallow tank so that should give lots of light.  Unless you really wanna go heavy on the sps / clams, I would go with that.

Great! Can I buy such a system pre-installed in a hood?

Also, what does SPS mean? And I don't plan on having any clams, just coral frags.

Thanks!

Originally posted by deviousrhesus

And a stupid question, what does it mean when someone says their tank cycled in only 8 days?

No such thing as a stupid question. It means the ammonia and nitrite levels have peaked and then dropped to zero readings. Basically indicating that you can try to add livestock slowly.

I would like to recommend three good books.

Setting up a Saltwater Aquarium by Skomal.

Marine Reef Aquarium Handbook by Goldstein.

Marine Fishes by Michael.

Have fun, and everyone is right when they say, if you go cheap you pay twice as much in the long run.

AnthonyNguyen

houston eh? i have 2x96W from MLFS for $100. its CoralLife and consist of 1x96w of 50/50 and 1x96W of antitic(bluelight) i dont know for sure that i can get you one for 100. if u decide it you one one, give me a pm's, next time i come down there, i can ask for one. and about LR, i might get it for 3.50 if u buy 10 lbs or more. if u have time email me at Muoi5TinhNho@aol.com

AnthonyNguyen

oh and by the way....i has 2 (10G) + stand+canopy with 4x19W Flouriences and 2x14w Antistic and i might throw in a Penguin 400 Powerhead. All for $100.00. If any of yah living in Houston, interest drop me an email at Muoi5TinhNho@aol.com, pls, thankyou.

TheCurriculum
TheCurriculum

Just copied this off the website (they need a better web site .. doesn't do the store justice)

AQUARIUM WORLD has the atmosphere and appearance of a public aquarium, yet functions as a retail establishment. The 12,000+ square ft store is rich in display aquaria, the centerpiece being a 40,000 gallon saltwater tank that is 40 ft in length and 14 ft deep. This is one of the largest display aquariums for a retail establishment in the world! Additional displays include a 2000 gallon saltwater tide pool, and a river fed by a 12 ft waterfall, under which visitors can walk and view a 300 gallon freshwater tank sealed in a "rock" wall.

Off on my guess 40' x 14' ... oh well close enough. :

Please do not go to Aquarium World as your first choice. There are a ton of better stores in town with healthier and cheaper livestock. Aquarium world is impressive for show, but as far as buying goes, it isn't on the top of the list. Like I said, check out www.marshreef.com or even sign up and ask about where to shop there. I really like Aquatic Center on west airport off of 59, and there are many others near there including Global, TNT, and a few more. These places are smaller, but they will offer better service and better deals than Aquarium World.

AnthonyNguyen

pls yah, pls dont goes to AQUARIUM WORLD, they are rid offf....i hate that place . Turbos snail, 4.99 each, F*** that. goes to City Pet on Belt 8 and BeechNut, much more better, and price that u can afford, i went to AQUARIUM WORLD once, and never went back again, and its not worth the money!

i have couple place that u can go:

CityPet,

Located on Belt 8 , and BeechNut

and another place

Located on Bellaire Blw, and Dairy Ashford.

geshh...AQUARIUM WORLD is only for show case, i can't ever save my money and get any things from there, ttoooo tooo damn expensive. not worth the driving. Period!!

TheCurriculum

oh I agree with you they are overpriced, but sometimes for example you can get Shroom rocks fully covered and coraline encrusted for cheap.. it's just a matter of timing. Example a 7"to 9" roundish rock completly covered with hairy mushrooms (8 to 15 good sized) for $20 to $25. I've seen 2 hairy's on a crappy 2" rock for $20 at other LFS. Then again sometimes thier shrooms are overpriced like all of the other LFS ... so who knows.

Thier fish and snails are high priced. They did match the prices of other stores for the fresh water pond stuff I bought from them.

but yes thier are better places to shop for price...

Now that I reread my post I sound like I'm pumping it is a one stop shop, it's just a 5 minute drive from work for me, so some of us will go stop by for lunch and window shop every now and then.

I will still say if you've never been out to it that it's worth the drive just to window shop bc it's an aquirum and a store.

oh well didn't mean to turn this into a small hijack in your thread.

Have a good day. You can do what I've done and hit just about every LFS in the city (more then you think once you start looking)

Archived