ReefCleaners.org

"Ideal" alkalinity level for SPS tank

GobyMan

Is there a level which is ideal for a mostly SPS coral tank. My Alk has gone from 2.86 to 2.63 over the past three days while my calcium levels have gone from 350 to 370. I have been adding B-Ionic at a rate of roughly 2.5 ml per day.

Thanks!

Nishant3789

you will want the alk up in the 5s-6s for an sps tank, the calcium around 400. this will be plenty of calcium for your spss, hth

nishant

So do you think I will need to add a supplemental buffer? I just did a 1 gallon w/c and am going to measure alk again later this afternoon. Is adding B-ionic enough, and should I increase the quantity?

Thanks!

3.0 - 3.5 Meq/l

400-450 ppm

Be patient with the bi-onic it will take a while to get it perfect especially with growth happening all the time.

I think Nanoreefer53 was saying he was adding 20ml a day at one point till he saw the light and started dosing Kalkwasser (that Bi-onic stuff is mucho $$$)

Good luck and keep us posted,

Toy

oops sorry to address your inbalance issue,

ALK is consumed much more rapidly than CA That is the nature of the calcium cycle it takes a big loss in ALK to have a minimal loss in CA (short term) this is normal to see a drop in ALK and not much going on with CA.

HTH,

Toy

As Toyfreak said, for a small change in calcium you get a big change of alk--all part of the fact that everyone in your tank is making calcium carbonate.

I shoot for 2.5-4.0 meq/l (7-11 dKH) and 400-430ppm. Everyone has their own opinion, though they are usually in that neighborhood. I wouldn't stray too far from those numbers--at higher concentrations, you may see increased precipitation in your powerheads (that means they might seize after a few weeks). No big deal, but it means more time soaking your impellors in vinegar to dissolve the CaCO3.

FWIW, if I stop supplementing, I lose about 1.4 dKH every single day.

Ty

i try to keep my stable at 11dkh / 4.5meg/l and 400-450ppm calcium level...some iodine supplements are good also, as well as magnesium and stronum... ahhh..so many things to keep track..who ever said reefing is easy? hahhahaha

Archived