Pod Your Reef

Trouble feeding Banggai Card-Help

lwfjester

Okay, I'm green both to SW and this community BUT, I did do a search before I posted and didn't see a post that got any results from a similar question. Currently running a nanocube, stock except for an additional PH and heater. Just bought a Banggai from Petco (yeah it was weird, it had 8 SW tanks, but filled mostly with 'little Nemos'....bastards). Anyway, I got him home, took about 30 minutes to acclimate him (he's the first fish in the tank so no quarantine) and threw him in. He's doing great so I thought I'd try to feed him. I bought Hikari Mega-marine frozen cubes while at Petco (have used Hikari pellets with my cichlids for more than 5 years and love the stuff). I defrosted one of the cubes and pulled out a single 'worm' of some sort (lable says 'sea worm'). Turned off the circulation, opened the hood, and to my surprise the little bugger came right up to meet me:love:. I dropped the worm in, he sucked it right up, chewed once, and spit it out :ermm:. Sucked it up again, chewed once, and spit it out ???. Sucked it up a third time, chewed once again, and spit it out a final time :angry:. Fine, I'll try a small shrimp...dropped it in and got the EXACT same response :blink: . The woman at Petco said they were feeding them flakes ( I didn't believe her). I'm glad he's doing well and wants to eat, but i don't know what to do about the food situation...any ideas from the peanut gallery?

Take the petco ladies' advice and try a staple marine flake food. Some fish need to be fed a wide variety of stuff before they sample a food they will eat readily. Saltwater fish are notorious for being picky eaters.

These fish are also nocturnal fish by nature and might fare better by feeding them at night, just before the tank lights get turned off. I'd try feeding them a little of every kind of fish food you can get your hands on until you find what works best. Mix it up and offer him a buffet.

Even the avatar you picked out, the copperband butterflyfish, is a pickey eater. The only way I could get mine to eat was to buy some dead barnicle shells and stuff them daily with minced shrimp and fishmeat. But, by doing that, the fish was mimicing it's natural coral picking feeding behavior and ate much better.

I've got 4 bangii's, they love MYSIS shrimp and Brine Shrimp, they pretty much won't eat anything else, it also basically has to fall right in front of there face. Try soking them in Selcon or Garlic.

i have the same problem. my banggaii has not eaten fish food for about 1 month.:blush: . lucky for me i had a huge pod population and he eats them.

i want another cardinal to try and breed but i want to know what to feed them before.

i tried flake, pellet, ghostshrimp live&dead, and pellet crumbs. my banggaii will put the food in his mouth be he/she has never swollowed anything cept pods.

Hey all, just wanted to say thanks for the help and to let you know he ate. Bought some frozen brine (lady at Petco also said she fed them that as a treat) and he ATE IT UP!!! He loved every little bit of it.:D:P

Whoooo Hooo, I love this hobby, its like an addiction, I want to go look for new live rock everyday!!!

Thanks for the help guys

boboB)

Archived