ReefCleaners.org

Best bulb for sps/clams?

LJ23

10gal aga

What else do you want to know?

I'm going heavy sps and a clam or two. I'm leaning toward either a 13k or 20k with 2x36 10k supp.

Any suggestions?

theclearblue

What wattage are you planning to run on the MH and is it mogul, hqi?

Keep in mind a 20k has a lower PAR. How about a 10k with the 2x36 acitinic.

Was thinking of 175/250. Either 175 with 10k or 250 with 20k to makeup for loss PAR. In mogul style.

LFS has 14k's for $79.99 and uses them in the 4 huge coral tanks. And all corals look great, so I might go that way too.

Still looking for a some more input!

jasontatro, do you have any pics of the ushio 10k in use?

Thanks...

If you are planning to supplement with some actinics, I would greatly suggest the USHIO 10K as it has higher par values than the higher kelvin rated bulb, yet it maintains a crisp white look that looks great with actinic supplementation. For comparison pics, take a look at this link http://www.cnidarianreef.com/lamps.cfm.

movingshadow

depending on the wattage:

150W MH: I'd go for either BLV/Ushio 10kK WITH actinic supplementation or the aqualine buschke 13000K bulb (it's called "aqualine 1000") Oh and I'm not sure if they are available in the USA, but the Giesemann performance burners are great too!! (too bad they don't make 70W :x )

250W MH: you can consider using a 20kK bulb as the par is higher than with a 150W lamp... otherwise I'd stick to bulbs at 15000K max (tunze makes a 15kK bulb)

Archived