Top Shelf Aquatics

Beginner

acshaw21

Hi,

I am new to aquariums and was thinking of putting to gether a neat little saltwater tank. Before I do anything though I want to read a book on how to care and maintain a SW fish tank. Anyone have any suggestions for a good book? I am very green, but am dedicated to learning about this. I have looked around a bit at tanks and thought the JBJ Nano Cube looked like the size I am interested in. Plus I have seen some really awesome pictures of the little reefs that people have created using these tanks and its just incredible. In fact, if anyone has some nice pictures of their reefs using the nano cube please post it so those of us interested in them can take a look. Thanks! Feel free to email me at acshaw21@hotmail.com

AnthonyNguyen

hey dood,

up on the top, there a litle Search button. Book? i dont read Book, just experience from people. how big do you want your nano? 2.5? or 5?, there a guy up here he has a 2.5, awesome tank. goes to Search and type in Liquid.

A book is a great way to learn the basics of a reef set-up. I don't know any really good books off hand, but if you go to your local book store they are bound to have a few. Browse through them, and the most recently written one is probably your best bet. Avoid any books that recomend undergravel filters and crushed coral substrate right off.

do a search on google on how to set up a reef aquarium, or if you know about what size you're thinking about, browse the members' tanks and see if you can find a set-up close to what you want. Usually the owner will post specs of the equipent they're using.

If you have questions, do a search first, and usually you'll find an answer (many beginner questions have been posted and answered a million times on this site.)

good luck! Research and patience is the key to success in reefing.

Would you guys agree that for a beginner the nano cube is the way to go? Somewhere down the line i may want to modify justa bit...its seems that the circulation and lighting for this system seems to be about the minimum to start but not really ideal. Also, how do you guys feel about ordering live rock online? Im sure it is better to head out to your LFS, but since I'm new to this stuff I'm not to familiar with the stores in the Cleveland area (if anyone is from the Cleveland area please feel free to leave your suggestions) Also looking for a decent priced tap water filtration system if anyone has a suggestion.

A few good beginner books are:

The New Marine Aquarium... by Michael S. Paletta

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist... by Robert M. Fenner

Corals: a quick reference guide by Julian Sprung

Marine Fishes... by Scott W. Michael

besides temp's list:

tullock's Natural Reef Aquarium

goldstein's Marine Reef Aquarium

fenner/calfo's Reef Invertebrates

still waiting on dave's nano-reef book. zzz

Archived