Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

can you have jellyfish in your tank?

derekschwabe

derekschwabe

I was wondering if jellyfish can get in your tank through live rock. Because, I know I didn't put them there. Are jellyfish harmful?

yes, they can come as hitchhikers on LR, most likely in their polyp phase of development. you could theoretically even get them as free floaters from corals, since corals are basically shipped with water from the original reef.

i don't think they'll harm anything since they'd most likely be tiny. most of the ones i've seen are about the size of this letter "o". pretty cool but hardly anything to be worried about unless you've got hundreds. i believe all jellys sting but a swarm could smother something, i guess. most likely the pump intake X) as they are true pelagic creatures subject to the currents/flows.

there are specific tanks built for jellys but the most common available to hobbyist would be a cylindrical tank. some are straight carnivores and others a mix of photo/food. i'd leave them be.

FYI - jellyfish are not suited to life in an aquarium. Their tissue is so delicate that even brushing the glass is very damaging. Most jellyfish end up stuck to a jagged edge of LR or being sucked into a powerhead.

People obsessed with keeping jellyfish have developed the Kriesel Tank. It's cylindrical, and a swirling water current keeps the jellyfish away from the sides, etc.

Also, jellies can be tough to feed if you don't know what yours wants to eat.

Here is a kreisel tank:

http://www.fishlarvae.com/photos.asp?AID=8...&GID=48&PID=342

Originally posted by Hwarang

FYI - jellyfish are not suited to life in an aquarium.

i hope my post wasn't interpreted as an endorsement to raise jellys. it wasn't meant to be.

Archived