inTank Media Baskets

SPS under PC lighting . .

darwin604

Just wondering if anyone here has had any success keeping SPS under PC's - and what species. I've had my Montipora Digitata - my first attempt at SPS - thriving under my CL 96w. Shown ENORMOUS growth in just a couple months and seems to be the happiest coral in my tank. I'm considering adding another SPS frag or two and I'm wondering what esle I could keep with my current setup. I know that some SPS need tons of light and only do well under MH, but I'd love to add some more SPS to the mix. What are some other good species that would do well in my nano??

d.

No, SPS can grow under PC lighting provided there's enough of it. There are quite a few species of deeper water SPS corals that will love it. The risk is that some of the more top water varieties with the neon colors won't do as well, or turn dark brown/green as they add more zooxanthellae and lose their UV protection (often the source of the wild amazing colors).

I just added a frag of green staghorn acropora to one of my 20g. reefs, and it's suddenly produced a new "finger" at it's base with a white tip and it's growing like mad. So, it's growing in two directions after being in the tank for about a week so far. I'm running 130 watts of PC light, 75% actinic 20,000k and 25% daylight 10,000k and it's doing fine.

High light, high calcium, good water quality = healthy SPS coral.

Archived