Pod Your Reef

Minibow Update

Gilman

Got rid of a bunch of stuff this past week including, Squamosa Clam, Green BTA, a gang of Green Star Polyps, and all of our Capnella. Decided it was time to thin the herd a bit. The Green Star Polyps were growing out of control, and starting to think about taking over more than 1/3 of our tank. NOT COOL! hahahaha.

Anyhow, I ended up getting a good deal on a Rose Bubble Tip Anenome from Anthony at www.aquadesignz.com, so now I am giving it a try in our tank.

Here is a full tank shot.....

nano.jpg

The new Rose BTA

rose1.jpg

rose2.jpg

rose3.jpg

Can't wait to see how this Anenome does under 32watts of light over a long period of time. I let Anthony know that if for some reason it doesn't like our tank, I would bring it back to him before it perishes (hopefully). So far so good though, it looks great. Now if our Clown would just get in there and host.......

Gil

ive wanted a RBTA for a long long time. keep us updated on that specimen. question, you have a 32 watt SupNova? thats the same fixture i have kinda bumed about csl calling it quits...

That is a beautiful rose anemone. Please keep us updated on how you are caring for it and how it is responding to your care. I have forced myself from buying them many times...hehe

Thanks for the comments about our tank and the shots.

Victa, the lighting we have is a basic 32watt CSL retrofit. It is not the supernova with the special endcap.

SLO, I hope your right man. You think I should only feed it once a week eh? I was thinking I should probably feed it a couple times a week or so.......hmmm

Gil

Awesome tank Gil! My rbta was very happy under the 32w retro. I've since upgraded to 2x32, but there is no problem keeping one under 32, from my experience.

I feed mine almost a whole cube of formula 1 or mysis shrimp probably 3 to 5 times per week. It split after about 2 months....right when the false perc figured out what to do with it. Watch out for those filter and ph intakes...those btas can move quick.

Korbin, That monti is so big now, It probably wouldn't matter :D they may keep it in check.. although, I must say, monti vs. rics,,,, rics win.... so zoos may win as well...

a rbta would be nice to have in a nano but until those prices come down i dont see myself "experimenting" with that kinda specimen $80-$100 bucks around my area. whats the pricing for rbta's around everyones lfs'?!

DitchPlains

Its 120 bucks here on Long Island (Southampton NY) The one at my LFs looks just like yours GIl bright redish/pink under some MH/VHO. My poor little Nano Cube only has 24 watts for like 9 or 10 gallons so no go until my upgrade comes this weekend, but you always manage to keep corals in your tank that nobody else says you can keep (ie: the Montiporra, which btw is beautiful) I added one to my tank and its doing good, but slow growth, its only about 2 inches from the surface so very close to my lights. I hope once I get my retrofit 32 watt CSL in there as well it will grow with a little quicker pace, but it still a joy to watch. Anyways, take care and awesome photos. Maybe someday i will be able to afford a RBTA, just not now...

im with u brotha 100 bucks.... thats the cost of 100 bags of ramen.... us poor college students need to buy our cheap staple of food.... man... my coral eat better than me. they get scallops and shrimp i get processed noodles.

DitchPlains

Yeah man my grad school costs me l20 grand a semester, so I know the feeling of being Po..I can't even afford the OR. I did get a nice tax return however. I never expected to be so broke at 29 after all that money I made from graduating law school and practicing to now...going for my masters in Ed. Oh well life is full of changes, but I think I can live with myseld doing this career and not charging excess amounts of money for a realestate closing.....lol....anyways you have my empathy...take care.:ermm:

Archived