Top Shelf Aquatics

Weird advice from my lfs

bleedinorange

bleedinorange

He suggested that I use a teaspoon of my #### to get the ammonia level up in my tank to get it started.

1. Why would I need to get ammonia in my tank

2. That is totally gross and weird, but if it saves me a penny I am all about it!

theclearblue

I'm not sure if that would be a good idea based on the contents of urine other than ammonia. Use live rock and live sand to cycle it.

Don't do that. The guy at your LFS is an idiot. Use some LS and LR to cycle your tank. Get some good test kits from a different LFS or online and watch your cycle. That way you can see what is really happening in there.

hehe, your water tests won't test you positive for steroids or anything will they? otherwise, you may not qualify for the NR hall of fame.

i know of a couple of people who have started tanks with pee but i can't say it's a recommended practice. i think there was even a thread recently on this exact same subject (last few weeks).

the issue of the system cycle is to provide some ammonia to start the nitrogen cycle. usually, people just let ambient background bacteria take hold (slowest) or a decaying mass (a la cocktail shrimp) or residual bio-matter from LR (my pref) or some other method.

#### or feces fall into this 'other' category. technically speaking (from the lfs's point of view), you can take dog sh!t and kickstart the cycle too. it's up to you really.

just realize that what you put in, you have to eventually either take out (e.g. waterchanges or skimming) or bio-lock into some type of organic mass (e.g. macroalgae, coral tissue, fish flesh, coralline algae, etc.). hth

i agree with jojopus. go back there, and start peeing into their display tank. when they ask you what the hell you're doing, just tell them that you had some left over. and since they shared such a good idea w/you, you decided to share some of your magic ammonia w/them. actually, i don't condone doing this cause you'd end up harming some innocent animals. i just can't believe they would tell you to do that with all the alternatives that are available. on second thought, just do what jojopus said and go in there and pee on the guy that gave you that stupid suggestion....

Archived