inTank Media Baskets

A few more questions

bleedinorange

I recommend salifert test kits for everything. A little more pricey, but much more precise and accurate of all the tests I have used thus far. I would test for the basics, must include ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, and alkalinity. Also recommend testing for phosphate, calcium (if have corals and coralline algae), chlorine (if using tap water), magnesium, and possibly any other items I have forgotten. Plan to spend a bit of cash for these, about $10-15 each. Do a search and there might be more advice out there.

Oh yeah, on the hydrometer, they basically suck. I used to use a deep six hydrometer until I purchase a refractometer. I highly recommend that you buy a refractometer as soon as your budget allows. My tank water with my deep six hydrometer measured 1.025 on the nose . However, the same water using the refractometer tested at 1.027. The hydrometer was .002 off. It may not sound like a lot, but it actually is quite a bit. If there is any additional evaporation on your otherwise small tank, you can increase your salinity to 1.029 or greater which can be toxic to your fish. Also recommend an automatic top-off device to keep salinity constant. I bought mine from californiareefs.com. The guy that runs it is a member of this forum. Definitely worth looking into to. Good luck!

Archived