inTank Media Baskets

Hitchhiker Crab

newreefguy

Hi All,

A week-or-so ago I noticed this crab who had made a home in a crevasse in one of my rocks. I have no idea what kind of crab it is. Does anybody have any idea?

Sorry for the bad picture. If you look real close you can see one of his pinchers, some of his front legs, and part of his body coming out of the rock. I can’t get him to come completely out of his house no matter what I do. He blends into the rock really well. It looks like he has hairs all over his legs. I mainly just want to figure out if his presence is a good thing or a bad thing.

crab.jpg

Ryan ???

hard to say. hard to convict without a criminal act. otoh i don't trust any crabs, especially true crabs.

if you notice things getting smaller :munchmunch: then i would eye the crab differently.

otooh, i just recently discovered a crab in my display tank that must've been in there for a couple of years without me ever noticing (due to the angle of the LR, he's almost like a gall crab in the LR now, self-encased within the coralline). so they sometimes can live peacebly (i'm still keeping an eye out for the little fugger tho).

I ended up with a crab hitchhiking on my LR also. It has pincers and hair all over his legs and most of his body. He's been ok. He ####ed me off a little when he kept moving my sea mat frag but he's not bad.

I think I may have more than one.. possibly two or three. I just noticed yesterday morning a new borough in the sand under one of the rocks. I want to add my first coral this weekend and I am worried that they might munch on it. Maybe I will try to catch them using the glass cup method.

:ermm:

AlgaeBlenny

Fifteen minutes ago I just removed a Hitch-Hiker crab, doesn't look like yours though. I took a small siphon, put in the crabs hole, and blew air into it. I took a large tube and put it on a larger hole next to it and started the siphon and sucked him out. He is sitting in a betta bowl as I type this.

Archived