Innovative Marine Aquariums

Chris George's Silverstrand Reef

Chris George

More pics.

- Blue Mille I got at Vivid last Friday. Sorry for the bad pics. I didn't realize they were out of focus until later:

bluemille_2_21_2012.jpg

bluemille2_2_21_2012.jpg

- Pink Stylo from Vivid:

stylo_2_21_2012.jpg

- my old orange monti cap all healed up. You can see it encrusting onto the surrounding rock:

cap_2_21_2012.jpg

- Some Joker palys from Mr. Coral:

jokers_2_21_2012.jpg

- New front FTS with the updated rock work:

fts_front_2_21_2012.jpg

- Side FTS:

fts_side_2_21_2012.jpg

Looks awesome chris love the scape!

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks awesome chris love the scape!

Thanks! I think I'm finally going to call the scape finished. It only took 6 months. :)

FTS progression:

June 15th, 2011

fts_june_15.jpg

July 26th, 2011

fts_july_26.jpg

August 1st, 2011

fts_aug_1_2011.jpg

January 1st, 2012

fts_01_01_2012.jpg

February 11th, 2012

FTS_sm.jpg

February 21st, 2012

fts_front_2_21_2012.jpg

Side FTS

fts_side_2_21_2012.jpg

There could a million and one reasons that his cap didn't make it. Blaming the lights for a loss of a coral is premature until we start seeing a pattern of them doing poorly under LEDs. Mine on the other hand has recovered nicely and is growing faster than any other coral in the tank. I bought my first blue-ish sps, so I'll keep track of the color. I know a lot people claim LEDs are poor at retaining blue in sps.

Eh, this guy always has something foolish and negative to say. He obviously doesn't know sh.t about LEDs.

thats because mh>LEDs for sps. :)

Wrong. Your input is < helpful.

Not only have you built a beautiful tank, but you've created a very informative thread. Def subscribed!

Thank you very much. I was very inspired by other members that post useful information about their setups in their tank threads, so I wanted to do something similar. I realize that I'm missing a ton of information though, so I'm going to add more specifics about unique aspects of my tank, like my ATO that runs through my kitchen cabinets and a wall to get to my sump.

Eh, this guy always has something foolish and negative to say. He obviously doesn't know sh.t about LEDs.

Wrong. Your input is < helpful.

Heh. I really don't see the point in posting to people's threads like he did. It felt like he was trying to start an argument. I try to make it a rule to post positive comments or potentially useful information in threads, especially when it's someone's tank thread.

Your scape is very pleasing to the eyes...along wih the your tanks sleek edging..I like it ;0

Thank you. I'll be taking some artistic shots of the tank itself one of these days.

I got around to finishing my equipment panel, inspired by the panel in Urbanek's thread.

I still need to clean up the wires behind the panel, but I ran out of time today. I'd say this is 80% done at this point.

panel2.jpg

panel.jpg

The equipment panel turned out great. I'm glad the idea has turned into a reality for you and thanks for giving credit and including my build journal as a reference.

The equipment panel turned out great. I'm glad the idea has turned into a reality for you and thanks for giving credit and including my build journal as a reference.

Yes, I'm thinking equipment panels are going to seriously take over in future designs on this forum. :)

My next tank is going to have an over-sized stand and an equipment panel designed into it from the beginning, with a hinge on one side. It's a fantastic idea. Thanks again for the inspiration!

Haha! Pepe's will rot your intestines. Nice to see someone familiar with my neck of the woods. You from the Strand?

I grew up in Oxnard Shores, last neighborhood before the Edison power plant in the dunes from ya. My parents still reside there and I frequent often. Love that Toppers they put in a while back, ha I miss the food even if its questionable since ive moved out of town.

Looks like your tank is just a bit older than mine. The corals you grabbed from Vivid look great, set up is slick, def gonna watch it mature. We will have to stay connected maybe some easy frag swappin, Yeahyuh!

I grew up in Oxnard Shores, last neighborhood before the Edison power plant in the dunes from ya. My parents still reside there and I frequent often. Love that Toppers they put in a while back, ha I miss the food even if its questionable since ive moved out of town.

Looks like your tank is just a bit older than mine. The corals you grabbed from Vivid look great, set up is slick, def gonna watch it mature. We will have to stay connected maybe some easy frag swappin, Yeahyuh!

Awesome. I rented an apartment in the Shores when I was a young lad. I'd be happy to frag swap with ya when you come out to visit your parents. Give my tank another year or so to mature. :)

Chris George

Over the last few weeks, one of my zoanthid frags from Mr. Coral has melted away to a large extent. A few days ago, a nearby frag started doing the same thing. All 4 polyps on this second frag were all closed up, but I saw two tentacles still sticking straight up where a skirt would be. I smelled a rat, or in this case, a nudi. I pulled the frag out and there he was. Little bastard.

zoa_nudi_001.jpg

zoa_nudi_002.jpg

Wow. I found one once by luck. I should probably do the same thing with this rock piece I got from va. Do you know if these die in Coral RX?

acropora1981

Where theres one, there's eggs, and lots of 'em. Freshwater dip is the only way I've ever beaten zoa nudi's. A quick dip kills the adults, but it requires multiple dips because the eggs are not vulnerable to freshwater dips (not nearly as vulnerable anyway).

Chris George
Wow. I found one once by luck. I should probably do the same thing with this rock piece I got from va. Do you know if these die in Coral RX?

I'm not sure about Coral RX, but I was just reading about how Flatworm Exit kills them easy. It does not however take out the eggs. Seems nothing really does.

Disgusting nudi!

No doubt. Hate that I got this. I'm going to start using Flatworm Exit on all my dips.

Where theres one, there's eggs, and lots of 'em. Freshwater dip is the only way I've ever beaten zoa nudi's. A quick dip kills the adults, but it requires multiple dips because the eggs are not vulnerable to freshwater dips (not nearly as vulnerable anyway).

Yup, I'm on the lookout for the eggs. I went over the two frags that I know this nudi was munching on and I didn't discover any. Luckily, nearly all of my zoas are still on the frag plugs. I'll just be prepared to do multiple dips over the next several weeks.

bwoodward0012

dip every last zoa/ paly in your tank (fresh water and lugols dips) manually remove any nudis you see at any time and manually remove eggs post dip. may take a few weeks but try to do this once or twice a week. these things reproduce quickly and populations will explode if nothing is done. you may need to dip/ remove twice a week. trust me, not a fun thing to deal with if you let it get out of hand.

also, most species are very diet specific so they shouldnt cause any harm to any other corals, but there are other species that eat other types of coral (ex: monti eating nudibrances, etc).

good luck

Chris George
dip every last zoa/ paly in your tank (fresh water and lugols dips) manually remove any nudis you see at any time and manually remove eggs post dip. may take a few weeks but try to do this once or twice a week. these things reproduce quickly and populations will explode if nothing is done. you may need to dip/ remove twice a week. trust me, not a fun thing to deal with if you let it get out of hand.

also, most species are very diet specific so they shouldnt cause any harm to any other corals, but there are other species that eat other types of coral (ex: monti eating nudibrances, etc).

good luck

Thanks for the advice. I will be on top of the dips. I think I'd rather to the FWE than freshwater though. I found this:

http://www.practicalcoralfarming.com/zoonudis.html

Seems very successful, and no stress/harm to the zoas. Anyone on here tried it?

bwoodward0012

i just did soaks in my normal lugols solution (brightwells mixed according to their directions) for the recomended time, then a 5 min ro dip (made sure the ro was heated to the same temp as my tank water) shaking the frag/ rock with the zoas/ palys back and forth several times during the dip, kept them out of water while removing eggs (no longer than about 15 min), then back in the tank. 99% of the polyps were open by the next day (if not earlier), even ones with visible damage from the nudis. Zoanthids and palythoas seem to be almost indestructable, seeing that i did this 2 times weekly for 2 weeks the first time i had an outbreak and 3 to 4 weeks on the 2nd outbreak (which was about a month and a half after the original, i think i missed some eggs). all the while i removed any eggs and nudibranches i saw at any time with tweezers.

Chris George
i just did soaks in my normal lugols solution (brightwells mixed according to their directions) for the recomended time, then a 5 min ro dip (made sure the ro was heated to the same temp as my tank water) shaking the frag/ rock with the zoas/ palys back and forth several times during the dip, kept them out of water while removing eggs (no longer than about 15 min), then back in the tank. 99% of the polyps were open by the next day (if not earlier), even ones with visible damage from the nudis. Zoanthids and palythoas seem to be almost indestructable, seeing that i did this 2 times weekly for 2 weeks the first time i had an outbreak and 3 to 4 weeks on the 2nd outbreak (which was about a month and a half after the original, i think i missed some eggs). all the while i removed any eggs and nudibranches i saw at any time with tweezers.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll post an update in a couple of weeks or if I find more of them.

Archived