Coral Vue Hydros

Chris George's Silverstrand Reef

Chris George

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chris George

Posting some new pics. I'm also considering naming the tank. It seems to be a popular trend these days, and I hate calling it my "40 gallon Rimless Square Shallow." :)

fts_over_01_04_2012.jpg

fts_under_01_04_2012.jpg

top_01_04_2012.jpg

zoas_01_04_2012.jpg

Chris George
Love the way the zoa cover parts of the LR.

Thanks. :) Actually, I bought the zoas already attached to very small branch rocks. I puttied those small branches to my rocks in a way that I thought felt natural. It's hard to tell they aren't part of the main rock work.

So my orange monti cap began to have dying tissue right in the middle of it. This started 4 days ago and I waited as long as I could before deciding to remove the coral and take a look for nudis or other pests. Bear in mind that this frag was not healthy in the least when I bought it for cheap from an LFS. The underside was completely dead, showing skeleton and some small tubeworms growing on it. It had grown a bit on its healthy end in my tank, but I'm thinking I should have just fragged off the unhealthy parts in the beginning.

After a very close inspection for about 15 minutes in a bowl, I could find no evidence of nudis. There were multiple tubeworms growing on the underside now, and I figured there was no chance the tissue was going to regenerate, so I decided to frag off the healthy tissue. Here was my process:

monti_sick.jpg

In this first shot, you can easily see the skeleton where tissue used to be. the white thing on the left is putty I was using to hold it in place on the rocks. You can see how the tissue has begun to encrust the putty.

monti_sick_under.jpg

Here is what the underside looked like. The dark spots and white spots/lines are all tubeworms.

monti_fragged_healthy.jpg

Post-fragging. The piece was literally broken off by hand. It is sitting in a lugol's dip in this shot. I left it in the dip for 10 minutes.

monti_fragged_healthy_under.jpg

Here is the underside of the healthy frag. I was careful not to include any of the dead skeleton.

monti_fragged_sick.jpg

Post-fragging of the sick piece, topside.

monti_fragged_sick_under.jpg

Post-fragging of the sick piece, bottom.

monti_fts.jpg

Here is the healthy frag placed back in the tank, secured with putty to the same spot it was in before. The sick piece was thrown in the trash.

saltwatercoral
So my orange monti cap began to have dying tissue right in the middle of it. This started 4 days ago and I waited as long as I could before deciding to remove the coral and take a look for nudis or other pests. Bear in mind that this frag was not healthy in the least when I bought it for cheap from an LFS. The underside was completely dead, showing skeleton and some small tubeworms growing on it. It had grown a bit on its healthy end in my tank, but I'm thinking I should have just fragged off the unhealthy parts in the beginning.

monti_fts.jpg

Here is the healthy frag placed back in the tank, secured with putty to the same spot it was in before. The sick piece was thrown in the trash.

Wow sorry to hear about that. How is it doing now? and also Welcome the the Aqua Illumination Club!

This cap was a coral I bought back in October. It was not healthy at all when I bought it, and I was half expecting it to die early. Before the tissue recession began, it was growing and I started to think the coral was going to completely recover. I don't think the lights can be blamed in this instance, since it had done so well up to this point under the Sol. I was really thinking a nudi snuck in on a newer coral. But there was literally no evidence of it.

I've had montis before, but I had never seen one where the underside was complete skeleton (it was like this when I bought it) and the topside was healthy looking. Either way, we'll see how the fragged piece does. I have a monti digitata in the tank too, and it was been growing since I introduced it. It colored up really nice too since I added it. I'm hoping this was a fluke.

Can't believe I missed this thread...nice tank man, if it makes you feel better I had tube worms on my orange monti also - I removed it from the frag plug, used a grinder stone and buffer wheel to remove the pests then dipped, it bleached for a week then came home one day and it was all orange again. And its been fine ever since

Can't believe I missed this thread...nice tank man, if it makes you feel better I had tube worms on my orange monti also - I removed it from the frag plug, used a grinder stone and buffer wheel to remove the pests then dipped, it bleached for a week then came home one day and it was all orange again. And its been fine ever since

Thanks for the kind words. I'm done buying cheap frags that have problems hoping that they recover completely in my tank. I would have rather spent 5x as much on a completely healthy frag. I think the rest of my sps corals will be coming from Vivid. Since they are near my work, I get to see the effort they put into keeping all the animals healthy. That said, I'm pretty confident the remaining frag will do well. :)

Your eggcrate gives me blue balls.

Haha, I'm still in the process of breaking it apart to have less of it, so I don't want to cover it with new sand yet. :) I might just remove it completely. It was unnecessary. The glass on the bottom of my tank is super thick and I don't have a big enough rock structure to really worry about it.

Haha, I'm still in the process of breaking it apart to have less of it, so I don't want to cover it with new sand yet. :)

Copy that.

:P

I hear nothing but good about vivid from members that are local to it, which is why I put a 4 frag 300 dollar order in. This morning, but they're stock looks so prime...

I don't want to sound like an advertisement for them, but they really are a great shop. I only have one critique of the place and it's something many of us struggle with: Some of their coral tanks have aiptasia and bryopsis. So when you're dipping your new frags, just visually inspect the frag plug for any tag-alongs.

Beautiful Tank. I experienced a lot of "color changing" when I went with LED's as well... They also are deceptively strong, as I think I was burning some zoas at first...

Beautiful Tank. I experienced a lot of "color changing" when I went with LED's as well... They also are deceptively strong, as I think I was burning some zoas at first...

I've one issue with color with my now tan/brown chalice that was once a beautiful deep green. If it doesn't start to color up soon, I'm going to give it away to someone that wants to try and bring it back.

I love your rockwork! Lots of character and places to put stuff.

Thank you. I'm very anxious to add some more coral. I just have to figure out what really happened to my monti cap (or see it recover) before I really dive in.

Posting my CA/Alk/Mag parameters here record keeping.

Calcium 440 ppm

Mag 1280 ppm

Alk 3.2 meq/L

I've also started being very disciplined on my dosing. Here is my current dosing regimen:

Microbacter7 - 20 drops per day

Reef Bio Fuel - 2 drops per day

Phytogold-M - 10 drops 2x per week

Arcti-Pods - 2-5ml per day (small fish and coral load currently)

Since following this dosing regimen, I've seen my cyano outbreak disappear. My tank went through another mini-cycle when I started the carbon dosing, as some new diatoms popped up on the sand bed for a short while. It's almost all gone now, and I've noticed my water is super clear! It's very nice to see.

I'm guessing I have a mini cycle going on right now as well. About a week ago the sand bed developed a good amount of diatom growth. It's starting to clear up now. Yesterday my ammo was in between the first and second level. I'm guessing it's from adding fish, feeding, and having a newer tank and substrate. Weird cause the rock has been established for a long time.

Are you doing weekly water changes? I'm testing a two week change.

I'm doing 5 gallon weekly water changes at the moment, but I'll be honest that I'm about 3 days overdue on this latest one. I've been very disciplined about it for the last 2 months. So much so that I haven't needed to dose any cal/alk/mag for my small coral load.

Archived