Coral Vue Hydros

Growing macros with LEDs

javisaman

I was just wondering if anyone has had any experiences with growing macro algae using LEDs? Are they too powerful? Are the spectrum that they produce sufficient for macros? I'm thinking of setting up a macro pico and upgrading the tank's (Fluval Spec) lighting to an LED setup.

yes, i was also wondering that. Now that led is pretty much settle in on many display tank, how does it do comparing to CF for growing macro alage..

i grow caulerpa in my fuge for 3 years will LED and it works great dont see any difference between CF and the LED when it comes to growth rate actually it grows better with the led but its because of the spectrum the CF bulb i was using before was 5000k and the LED is 4200k macros usually do better in the 4000k range IMO

• 2 weeks later...
i grow caulerpa in my fuge for 3 years will LED and it works great dont see any difference between CF and the LED when it comes to growth rate actually it grows better with the led but its because of the spectrum the CF bulb i was using before was 5000k and the LED is 4200k macros usually do better in the 4000k range IMO

Which LED light are you using?

I'm currently experimenting with macros and LEDs in my tank (see sig). This tank has only been set up for a month, so the jury is still out. I'm seeing very rapid growth of pencil cap algae, with two new stalks already emerging from the sand. I've also watched a single strand of chaeto that got buried in the sand go from 1" to 14" and still growing everyday. I've had red titan growing under LEDs since January, but it's a fairly slow growing macro to start with. The only die off I've seen is some halimeda monile, but it was fairly stressed from shipping.

I have some Halimeda monile and Halimeda incrassata in my display under the nanotuners fluval edge LED fixture and they seem to be doing fine. Keeps my nitrates at zero where they were preciously at around 15 so they are definitely doing something.

I havent noticed any crazy amounts of growth though they have only been in there for about a month

Also, I just stumbled upon someone who has a soft coral tank with the spec as well as some sps (yeah sps!). He didnt upgrade the stock lights at all. I told him to post a thread about his tank but I havent seen anything yet.

Im sure if the stock lights can support coral it should be able to do macros no problem

i had a bunch of halimedia and various calurpa take over my display under led..

i did also grow cheato in a ac 50 with a single p7 (10w) over it and it did okay but the conditions were not ideal to begin with

joesmoe517

i grow sawblade caulerpa in my middle chamber fuge with christmas light LED's, and they look almost blueish-white

IMG_1405.jpg

IMG_1400.jpg

I have some Halimeda monile and Halimeda incrassata in my display under the nanotuners fluval edge LED fixture and they seem to be doing fine. Keeps my nitrates at zero where they were preciously at around 15 so they are definitely doing something.

I havent noticed any crazy amounts of growth though they have only been in there for about a month

Also, I just stumbled upon someone who has a soft coral tank with the spec as well as some sps (yeah sps!). He didnt upgrade the stock lights at all. I told him to post a thread about his tank but I havent seen anything yet.

Im sure if the stock lights can support coral it should be able to do macros no problem

Hmm that's a good sign. I still have my doubts about stock lighting though haha.

Archived