SaltCritters.com

Anemone sick??

RJ

I have a 30 gal tank, and it has cycled for about three months, doing well with a blue damsel and a small panther puffer.. lots of tube worms growing all is well, water tested fine, I purchased a single "clark" clown fish and an "Hardy Anemone" they did well for the first day, the Anemone was huge.. then suddenly late today.. I couldn't find it... it was all shrunk up and the clown was swimming alone.  I turned the rock over and the clown fish was all over the anemone.. but why did it shrink... is it sick?  tired? need advise fast.. thanks!

second2n0ne

This is normal behavior.  Anenomes tend to constrict and retract to expel impurities...kinda like wringing out a sponge.  If it does not return to normal size within a day, then it is time to worry.  The clown may also be bothering it.  Place a strawberry basket over the anenome  to see if it returns to normal size.  What kind of anenome do you have?

If the anemone is not used to having a fish living in it, it will attempt to hide from the fish. It takes time. it will inflate again. Make sure to feed it occasionaly and keep the clown away while it is eating or else it will steal the food for the anemone. Try squid, clams or scallops

Archived