inTank Media Baskets

Which Grows Better?

10g Reef

I will be putting Cheatomorph in the fuge under my 30 gallon. What would grow the chaeto faster/better....

1) 36w 50/50 Compact Flourescent with a mix of 1000k daylight and Actinic

2) 23w self-ballasted 6500k screw-in lamp in a regular desk light

Link to #1... http://www.aquatraders.com/Odyssea-20in-1x...ure-p/51107.htm

Link to #2.... http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-Light-...catalogId=10053

#2 would be in a regular desk lamp. I already have both, but the 36w fixture doesn't fit as well over my fuge.

Amphiprion1
#2. Chaeto does best under 5000-6500 kelvin lamps in my experience.

I'd second #2. It also may be worth looking to see if a local hardware store sells 40w compact lamps. I've had the best luck with those in particular.

Magiksurfman

+1 have to agree option number two.

Works great for growin cheato in my sump and the corals i throw in there seem to like the light too. Grows gracilaria, ulva pretty good too in my tang food tank cant say what the growth rates are very well to cheap to go out and buy a scale but my cheato can go from a fist size ball to a gallon zip lock size bagful in about a month. Bulbs are cheaper and easier to replace/find (wally world and probably your corner grocery store carry them) and you can bump up or lower the wattage by changing out the self ballasted bulbs. 6500k is around natural daylight grows algae pretty darn good in nature. light is going in the sump where for the most part is out of sight and you dont need to get all fancy unless you display it. then you can throw together a housing for it if your worried about looks.

and your 36 doesnt fit right over your sump anyways , sounds like you already had your mind made up.

igotreefermadness
Do you mean 10,000K, instead of 1,000K? Big difference there...

Haha I was like where is this guy getting a 1k bulb. Yeah my chaeto hated growing under LED lighting (like 14k), but a standard 25w CFL will make that stuff grow like a weed.

carbon-mantis

Mine actually grew better under an aquatraders CF fixture, probably because the spectrum is nowhere near what they claim it is.

Archived