inTank Media Baskets

Firefish Behavior Question

Master Shake

Master Shake

I recently purchased an orange firefish and placed it into my tank with a purple firefish. I have read that unless they are mated pairs firefish will fight with each other, but I figured since they aren't exactly the same species and are different colors they would leave each other alone. Wrong!X) The first day the purple firefish picked on the orange one all day, shredding fins. I was wondering, is it because they are both firefish? Is it because the purple one is bigger than the orange one? Or is it because the orange one crept into the purple one's territory? (The purple one likes the caves on the left side of the tank) The orange one finally found a nice cave to hide in and uses it as its retreat, but I am wondering if its too late for it. The purple one leaves it alone when the orange one goes into its cave, it doesn't follow it, but the orange one keeps wanting to come out and gets beat on more. Is there anything I can do other than remove the orange firefish? If I could capture the purple one and keep it contained until the orange one heals, or gets bigger or explores the tank enough to find its own territory without the constant chasing would that work? Could I feed the fish more often, maybe that could be the cause of the purple one's aggression? I have a 15 gallon tank with approximately 16 lbs. of live rock and plenty of caves and crevices. Was two fish in this tank too much? Any help would be appreciated, Thanks:D

i say either het rid of the prange firefish or add another one. i think if you add another one it may dillute some of the purple's aggression. (correct me if i'm wrong). the purple is prolly more aggressive because he was in the tank first and already established his territory.

• 2 weeks later...

you may have to ditch one of them. another firefish in a 15 gallon tank might be too many. do you have any other fish in there? if not then you may be fine.

korona

J21kickster

A lot of times fish will atack other fish who look the same, while their colors are not alike, they have similar body structures Which can be precieved as a threat

Archived