Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Sand turning very dark

bobioden

I have a 12" CPR Aquafuge with 4 inches of LS. It has been running for 9 months. I finally decided to take a look at the sand, (it is up against a wall and not very easy to see), and noticed it looked very dark, almost black in some areas. Is this normal? Or has something gone wrong.

Any thoughts or info will be appreicated.

Thanks

???

Smokin-Reefer

short answer-

it sounds like sulfur in the sand. This sometimes happens when

there is not alot of current/oxygen near the sand. The same thing happens in a large DSB. Is it normal ? Yes. Has something gone wrong? It depends who you ask.

just don't stir that sand up and let it get released into the water! There is some information about this, alot more technical too, in march issue of FAMA. Check it out!

Smokin-Reefer

Now I'm having a hard time recollecting if it is the march issue or not. It's the one with a clown knifefish on the cover, and the information is in the reef letters/questions section. However, if you don't wanna make the trip down to barnes and noble, you could check dr. rons forum or search on reef central. I KNOW that they have covered this a few times. I hope you get it figured out!

hth.

Daniel

Archived