SaltCritters.com

Remora pro question about pump ?

TRI916

I just bought a remora pro, and I only have a 16 gallon bow. My question is what is the smallest pump I can use for it. I have a mag-3 but, its too big. What is the smallest pump you recommend for a pro? Just some advice, or maybe get bigger tank, but cant afford now cause the pro broke me off. Help......

the mag really is the best. the maxi's a little smaller. you can try the rio 800 but i don't think you'll be getting a 'remora' performance then. you might as well run a prizm then.

the pro is a superb workhorse. :thumbsup: to emasculate it with a lesser pump (it's heart) defeats the purpose of getting it.

i'll buy it off of you. :)

GoldStripeMaroon

TinyReef.

Aww. I was planning on upgrading from a seaclone w/rio (sucks) to the regular hang on remora and its maxi 1200 pump? Are you saying that unless its got the mag pump on there, I might as well save a few bucks and get the CPR bak pak or something?

My main reason for going to remora too is because its not venturi, much more quiet skimmer.

Thanks guys I know what to do now, bigger tank huh. I have (1) 150 watt hqi light and (2) pc lights both 36 watts be, enough lights for 65 gallon tank, with remora pro? Trying to go cheap as I can. What you guys think?

Originally posted by GoldStripeMaroon

Are you saying that unless its got the mag pump on there, I might as well save a few bucks and get the CPR bak pak or something?

no, i'm sorry if it looked that way. it's just that i personally prefer mags but the maxi is perfectly fine. the issue was the physical size of the pump originally.

i was also just saying not using the induction method that the remora was designed with just kinda defeats some of the design purpose imo (i.e. resorting to the rio 800's venturi action). i don't think the rio 800 is strong enough to induce the venturi-type action of the remora's intake/induct. (at least i believe it's basically a venturi-type, looks it to me)

My main reason for going to remora too is because its not venturi, much more quiet skimmer.
it's quieter than a prizm but i don't think you can call it quiet quiet. it processes very well tho. i believe it's due to its very large reaction chamber, which in turn translates into a much longer residence time and the key to its effectiveness imo.

i think it's still a venturi-type effect tho (see above). the adjustment screw where the bubbling starts seems to resemble the basic structure of a venturi intake. (not an engineer so i can't say for certain)

Need bigger tank anyways, maybe 29 gallon or something. I have 65 gal, but cant afford the rest of equipment and live stock. I want to keep it small and simple. Checking account too complicated.

GoldStripeMaroon

Tiny Reef. First, thank you for all that info, I needed to hear that. Second, since I am setting up a 40 gallon reef, 2 fish, softies, etc. Should I just go with the CPR bak pak 2? My question is, if there is not enough difference in sound bt a remora and a bak pak, Ill do the bak pak, or you still think I should get the remora, thanks.

tri,

sorry for the hijack but that's norm around here. :P 29g is a good size for a nano. it has both height and area for aquascaping. your lighting should be ok for that tank but you'll probably have some dimmer corners.

15H or 20H are some other choices that would fit just as well. regardless of display tank you might want to get a sump addition-type to hold the skimmer. you could put in the display tank but you might not like the view of the honking big PH powering the skimmer. the cpr has the advantage here by using rios (smaller).

goldstripe,

i'm partial to remoras so i'm biased. that's also compounded by the fact that i used a very old cpr and wasn't pleased with its performance. they've changed a lot since then tho so i can't say you'll see that level of poor performance in the newer models.

i always say for lights and skimmers don't be afraid to oversize. you can always place the lights higher or run the skimmer less often to compensate.

half of the people here don't even run skimmers so there's another side to that arguement too. i don't think anyone denies the paramount importance of lighting tho (except maybe a deep water reef).

Remoras are spray injection skimmers ... think holding a turkey baster above your tank, and squeezing the bulb full force. See all the bubbles? Same idea in a Remora, only with a bigger pump.

If you want to use a monster pump on a Remora, but don't want to use up the real estate in the tank, I can't see why a person couldn't do a closed loop ... I've been toying with the idea myself.

As for quieting the beast, I hacked up a mouse pad and put hunks of the pad between the skimmer and whereever it touched my aquarium (over the screws and under the outflow). This eliminated the vibration I was getting from the pump (short hose to feed the skimmer 'cause of rockwork). I've also heard of peeps putting foam around in the injection tube to quiet the hiss of water.

Why not just get the regular remora for your 16 gallon? Its pretty small compared to the pro. Save the pro for your 65 gallon.

I have the remora pro with rio pump, rio pump not too big. I have it on a 72 gallon, its working wonders.

Archived