Top Shelf Aquatics

make own refugium

ms reefer

I would like to make my own refugiom. could i buy 20gal and use divider cut for the intake area etc. any help I will listen. thanks

Originally posted by ms reefer

I would like to make my own refugiom. could i buy 20gal and use divider cut for the intake area etc. any help I will listen. thanks

If I can do it, anyone can do it!

I'm a complete non-making things kinda guy and even I (with help, thanks Nalbar) figured out how to work acrylic.

My first project alone was a replacement overflow box. Except for screwing up a few cuts badly enough to make the piece not usable, it turned out all right. Not up to R_B's standards, but I've got a grand total of two pieces of acrylic under my belt...

Even worse, I looked at the prices they were charging for hoods and stands and made those too! They're not nearly as ghetto as my diamond plate AL light stand mind you!

All ya gotta do is go to the LFS and take a looksee at what they've got. Add a little here, take a little there, glue your fingers together, and voila! your own refugium/sump.

Look for Melev's reef (I'm too lazy to find it for you) and check out some of his designs! Talk about sweet...

There are lots of people here (and in the DIY section) that'll help out. Go for it!

Mike

TONK-CATCHER

I have a 20 gallon reef and a 10 gallon sump/refugium that i made myself. It may not be pretty, but it seems to get the job done. I drilled out the bottom of my acryllic 20 gallon, put a couple bulkhead fittings, one for a drain into my refugium, another for the return (i dont like the hang off the back types). In the 10 gallon refuguim i glued a couple arcyllic walls on either side, one where the water flows in, and the same on the other side. In the middle 2/3 of the refuguim I have about 4 inches of home made "miracle mud" and some macro. I leave the light on 24/7 in the sump..Cost me about 20$ to make it, and it gives me a place to hang my CPR skimmer..

Originally posted by ms reefer

I'm no good at drilling things.

Then do what I do: find friends/acquantances that are! Bribe them with beer and pizza and you'll be amazed what you can accomplish.

Then once you see how easy it is (like I did) you'll find that if they can do it, you can do it.

It took building a sumpfugium with a guy in the SDMAS for me to see how easy some of this stuff really is. I'm about done with a replacement overflow, and am about to either build another sump for my 40gal tank, or build an overflow into my new 50-ish gal acrylic tank.

I AM NOT the DIY king by any stretch. There are guys out there MUCH better at this than I'll ever be. I do enjoy it. (even the screwups as frustrating as they can be)

Good luck!

Mike

Archived