Pod Your Reef

I bought a coral..

Korbin

I finally used my gift certificate at my LFS on an awsome purple finger leather. My LFS guy says its a knobby finger leather, but I can't find anything on the net that looks like it. It has short stubby "fingers", and it is a really deep purple color.

I understand the requirements of leather corals, but if someone has some specific info on one like this, gimme a holla. I'll try and post pics by next week.

I have a camera. I cant take the coral home until tomorrow, so nyah!

I've seen dyed corals. (At my other LFS which I dont like to buy from. see my other thread) I am 99.4% sure this one is not dyed. Its not that bright of a purple. Its more of a deep purple, and sort of irridescent blue like those common blue shrooms.

I just put it in the tank no more than 2 hours ago, so I doubt that its fully extended, but the polyps are more open than they were. I'm starting to worry about whether or not its dyed. Here it is....

The blue is mostly concentrated in the tips, as you can see, and the base is light grey or almost white. Any thoughts? I was told that the base of most dyed corals was the same as the rest of the coral.

Oh, and thanks for the help!

Im nearly 100% posetive its a Short Cadiella, Purple soft finger.

or If ya want me to go latino on yer silly tracero......

Cladiella austrliensis.

They will like strong to medion intense light and swaying currents. They will slime a tad, and will respond to natural particulate foods as they are octo corals.

I d be VERY interested in a Frag as I have not seen them available in a while. I have some sweet Pink Kenya Tree fer trade. lemme know;)

Wow, thanks for the ID. It is purple, and it definitely is soft. It kind of turns into a lump of purpleness when you take it out of the water.

Can I ask where you got your info? I'm searching the web for it and still can't find squat. Does it have bad reactions with other corals? Because my candycane looks like something gnawed on it since I put the leather in the tank.

Oh, and if you have seen them for sale, how much did they cost? I'm going to wait and see if it grows in my tank before I start thinking about fragging it. But since it is in a 12 gallon, if it grows I will probably need to frag quite often...

I'll try and get a better picture of it in the next few days. The polyps are open quite a bit more today than in the picture.

Archived