ReefCleaners.org

Jonny's ADA 2 tank reef concept

jonny roks

jonny roks

thanks man, i would have liked it a little more low profile but the tank size made it really difficult. Again once i get the cube ill be making this all tie in together as if the glass isnt even there.

Livestock for the shallow will be an army of fiddler crabs.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One issue I can point out is nasty algae growth on the waterfall rocks. If you have any light shining on them, they will act as algae scrubbers where nasty brownish, slimy algae can grow. It will be a pain in the neck to remove them. You are potentially creating an algae scrubber which is better kept out of sight. Otherwise, this is a neat idea and will look awesome.

jonny roks

Heres an updated photo of the current setup. I think it looks a lot better. I hacked away some of the foam and also added additional liverock. Ill continue to make small changes as the days pass. That epoxy is really getting to my head, dont think my work area is ventilated enough.

Haven't heard anything from ADA about the 30c. Kinda makes me wish i wasn't so anal about things because i could have received a Green Leaf weeks ago...

photo-15.jpg

• 1 month later...

i know this update is long overdue but i haven't had much time for the build. Anyways im back on track and heres and updated video of it plumbed and running.

I received the cube, drilled both the tank and the granite top. I elbowed the return over the top because i was nervous about drilling a second hole, we didn't have access too the tripod this time around and the glass was really shaking. Either way it wont be visible once the cubes rock is finished.

I hope to be finished with the rock this weekend and will have some updated videos/photos for everyone.

yea, I have been traveling a lot and had to break down my previous setup in order too advance on this. So many flakes when trying to sell stuff.

IMG_0960.jpg

Well look at that! That looks pretty freakin awesome Jonny! I think if you pull this off, it will definitely be one of a kind. No question about it.

Im going to do my best to make it work. Im pushing 60 hr work weeks right now. Killing the overtime lol.. I have a lot of handy friends if i get stuck somewhere. With something like this you really need to have it running and do tests to make sure you cover all angles. Now that the other tanks gone i have the space to work on this.

Originally i was going with a 1" bulkhead. I ended up using a 1/2" because in order to use the 1" bulkhead, the hole would have had to obviously been larger and lower from the rim... and it would have caused my water line to be too low for me. . But now that i think about it, having such a small drain is scary..especially if it was to get blocked...

I need to definitely figure out a way to make sure the cubes drain doesn't get clogged lol [that would be a disaster] It sounds like a pretty easy thing to prevent by using some sort of egg crate/mesh but it also needs to look good. lol

Update: June 19th

Coming along...

Finished the cubes rock work, Constructed it out of Dry rock and foam. I still need too epoxy and sand it once i get more epoxy. I built it all towards the back left to cover the plumbing and to have it look like the two rock formations meet. Havent put the finishing touches on either side yet. Haven't decided if im going to have the two rock formations actually meet on the outside of the tank yet.

Waterfall was changed. It looked way to bulky and the rock just looked un natural so i chiseled and cut away a lot of it and epoxied it. really groved it out and it really makes a huge difference visually.

Photos.

Cube

1-2.jpg

Shallow

2-3.jpg

FTS

3.jpg

Thanks everyone. Its coming out great. I was able to get a lot done because im home sick. Im stuck until i can buy more epoxy. A local place carries it but not sure if they have it in stock - they are closed until tuesday and im leaving for vegas. Im not sure how long i will need to let this stuff cure before i add water to let it begin cycling. I Wish i could have had it all epoxied and sanded before i left for vacation so it would be cured by the time i get back.

For lighting i am going to go with 3 Par 38's. It should be more than enough light. i just need to brainstorm on how i will be mounting them.

For livestock im really liking the idea of all mangroves & Fiddler crabs.

Thanks everyone. Its coming out great. I was able to get a lot done because im home sick. Im stuck until i can buy more epoxy. A local place carries it but not sure if they have it in stock - they are closed until tuesday and im leaving for vegas. Im not sure how long i will need to let this stuff cure before i add water to let it begin cycling. I Wish i could have had it all epoxied and sanded before i left for vacation so it would be cured by the time i get back.

For lighting i am going to go with 3 Par 38's. It should be more than enough light. i just need to brainstorm on how i will be mounting them.

For livestock im really liking the idea of all mangroves & Fiddler crabs.

I forsee this being an epic tank (already is!). Love the idea of mangroves. That's one thing I would definitely add if I didn't have an AIO tank. They will be perfect for yours!

new rule, dont use 5 minute epoxy. Stick with the 20.

that stuff drys way to fast and too thick. Waste of time [drove 2+ hr round trip] Waste of money. and now i have to order and wait for the 20 minute to be delivered.

Bla!

This tank really sticks out as a unique concept and I believe you will do good things with it. Good job.

I would avoid fiddler crabs, they are up there with the octopus for escape artist award. My friend had one escape and it lived on her balcony for a week until I found it dead. To this day we always joke about how 'balthazar' never dies and is prolly living in a sewer somewhere. Reminds me of my childhood hamster days. LOL.

This tank really sticks out as a unique concept and I believe you will do good things with it. Good job.

I would avoid fiddler crabs, they are up there with the octopus for escape artist award. My friend had one escape and it lived on her balcony for a week until I found it dead. To this day we always joke about how 'balthazar' never dies and is prolly living in a sewer somewhere. Reminds me of my childhood hamster days. LOL.

haha, i actually have a similar story. When i was around 12 we all hung out by a friends house. He had a tremendous house w/ everything he wanted lol...His fish tank was stocked with large crayfish and they escaped via heaters and cords lol. Then one day when we were watching a wrestle mania event like 3-4 of them came out of hiding. I swear they were missing like 4-5 days. 1 was coming down the stairs, another by the couch...etc lol MONSTERS!

im going to try them. I totally agree they will escape. its not if its when but im going to work on some sort of a screen cover for the entire tank. Plenty of time to make something almost like a screen patio lol

Archived