SaltCritters.com

Red Slime Algae?

Nash Nano

I'm new to this forum so let me start by saying that this is really terrific information.

Does anyone have experience with red slime algae and what to do about it?

I have a Nano Cube and the water tests fine.

Also, any truth to the rumors of a 25 gallon Nano Cube with a skimmer?

Thanks,

If the algae os looks like a red or reddish-brown slimy mat, maybe with a few bubbles in it, then it is most likely cyanobacteria. Cyano can be done away with by using no-Cyano or freshwater Maracyn. The maracyn will not harm the beneficial bacteria in the tank and should kill it within 2-4 days. I have noticed that my calustrea did not like the maracyn, but recovered in about 4 days after using carbon to remove the Maracyn.

I would avoid treating red slime cyano with any antibiotic. The best way to reduce red slime is to reduce the Dissolved Organic Compounds (DOC) in the water.

You didn't mention your tank parameters, or size, etc. so it's hard to tell, but you might be overfeeding/overstocking your tank. It's very easy to fall behind the DOC war if you get lazy in doing water changes or you have a heavy fish load or you're a heavy feeder.

Try doing a few larger-than-normal water changes (sucking up any detritus you may be able to see) and reduce feeding for a week. If your red slime starts to fade away, you may want to re-evaluate your stocking or feeding schedule, or both.

or..

You could do both approaches, scum sucking water change and treat with no-cyano. This one-two punch will treat both the symptom and the problem at the same time.

There are some reef janitors that will eat red cyanobacteria as well.

It can be maddening if it's a bad infestation, coating everything in the tank with a red carpet of bubble trapping slime.

What kind of janitors will clean up red slime Aptasia? I have a nacerious snail, turbo snail, peperment shrimp, and that is about it. I have had an influx lately of bubble algae(emerald crab), and green algae, but my latest battle with red slime has proven to make me whine like a school girl in gym class.

My tank setup is as follows:

Nano Cube 12 Gallon

12 Lbs Figi LR

10 lbs LS

Removed all but one sponge in back

Removed Bio Ball and ceramics - replace with 2lbs LR

Stock Pump + mini jet 606

1 Clown

1 Six Line Wrasse

Green Ricordia

Green star

1 xenia

1 purple frag (not sure what?)

Feeding frozen food - 2 small feedings per day (Going to reduce to once per day) DT every third day. How much should I feed?

Also, using coral vitale to promote Coraline growth (per LFS)

Noticed my phosphate is 1 - trying to reduce through h20 changes. Any other ideas to reduce this?

Thanks for your help.

gabbeyshell

i used ultrareef slime removal. if it is on your corals that is a real problem. this stuff worked in 2days and i did a h20 change after that the only thing you have to worry about is your ph. and then i just used b-ionic. it never hurt my false percs or lw blenny or my corals. it is amazing. before i used that. i was trying to suck it up. nothing worked sometimes you just have to put chemicals in your tank. this one really isn't that bad.

don't use any chems in your tank.

cyano is caused by having to much watse material in the water.

easiest way to rid your self of cyano....... drum roll please...... water change, with a twist.... use a tube to syphon out all the detrius and cyano from the tank. then figure out what is causing the high levels of wate products and fix it. could be over feeding, to high of a bioload, not doing water chages ect ect. this is the CHEAPEST AND MOST EFFECTIVE WAY TO TREAT ALGAE OUTBREAKS!.

I had that problem for the first few months. I just kept brushing it all off once a week and it finally went away. No more red slime. Just be patient and it will probably go away soon

It sounds to me like you may be feeding too much. You can feed too much frozen food really quickly. Also, make sure that you defrost and drain the forzen food before feeding. The "juice" in the frozen food is really nutrient rich, and totally goes to waste (i don't think fish drink protien shakes). You way want to switch to flake for a week or two until you can get the DOC down a bit. Keep the same schedule, but just cut back a bit. That will probably be enough to reduce the DOC and after you do a couple of water changes, you should start to see a pretty quick decline in the red cyano.

I would strongly recommend against using something like a red slime remover in your tank. I know that some people have good luck with it, and that's great. Unfortunately, i think they're getting lucky. A lot of times it can cause a lot of troubles, because it relieves a sympton, but doesn't address the problem. 9 times out of 10 red slime is caused by large DOC content. Using a red slime remover (which is basically an antibiotic) you remove the red slime, but the high levels of DOC are there too. The red slime will be knocked out by the antibiotic, but so will other bacteria - beneficial bacteria. If you're overstocked (which, if you're over feeding, you're probably overstocked) and you do a repeat treatment (hrmmm, first batch didn't work, or it's coming back!) you could cause mini cycle, and that could be bad.

The most important part of this hobby is having patience (unless you're talking about disease diagnosis and treatment). Have the patience to make environmentally sound changes, and you'll be rewarded with a successful tank.

It sounds like you know what you're doing, and that you'll make the right decision. Let us know how this turns out.

Thanks for all of your information. I am going to try the more natural route:

***I've cut back on my feeding already (I will try the flakes ... any recomendations on type, brand and quantity?)

***Regular water changes of 2 gallons

***And finally Patience

Will let you know the outcome.

Also, should I be using a phosphate sponge or something on a regular basis? (Phosphate 0.2)

Thanks.

AReeferIsExpensive

i bought a 20$ tube in a blue box from the LFS labled red slime remover. i used less than the directions said and it was all gone within 2 days...........worth the buy IMO~ polyps wouldnt open b/c of the RSA so i wanted something fast.

Yes, i know some ppl are against it, but since ive used it and it never came back. So i feel like it was a temporary small risk to fix a long term problem. It says on the box that it effects oxygen levels and PH. I admit tho that if my tank was REALLY developed with clams and delicate stuff, i might have tried something else first. But just some shrooms and polyps and things didnt seem like it would be such a sin b/c they are considered hardy. I didnt see any negative effects at all besides the skimmer making more bubbles. my .02...... =) g/l

Archived