Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Dan's BioCube 14 w/3 LED Panorama's retrofit

DansTundra

Some new updates. Bought a torch coral, a open brain, and a neon green candy kane at the beginning of June and they are all seem to be very happy. The torch and candy kane are accepting mysis

FTS:

5874526245_40ea71a7ea_z.jpg

Torch Coral(view from the top):

5874526543_bf977bd5c6_z.jpg

My zoas and open brain(also a top view):

5874526881_3387f2b99b_z.jpg

Is that your Green Cheek conure in your avatar? (If it is even a green cheek lol).

Amazing tank, btw.

That would be my yellow sided green cheek.

2558649343_ee9a5e02be.jpg

Thanks for the comments!

DansTundra

So I decided to get the media basket for the 2nd chamber. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should be removing my bioballs. This is my first reef tank and I know with fresh water tanks its a bad idea to just remove all your bio media at once. I know the live rock helps out but I don't want to crash my tank with how well it is doing right now.

I also ordered Chemi-Pure and Purigen to add to the media basket.

• 2 weeks later...

I will start with some bad news. I lost my clown gobby and firefish, and my candy kane frag. They all just disappeared within a week. Firefish and clown gobby were all eating fine and happy as can be. Tank parameters were in check. So last monday night I was looking around and I found a small cave/hole in the tank and my clown gobby. Inside the cave was a pretty big Xanthidae crab(i think). Pic is attached. Because of this I had to tare all of the live rock out to get him. In the process I found a total of 5 of these crazy crabs. They also got my candy Kane frag pulled all the way up from under the live rock!

post-66328-1310529467_thumb.jpg

So monday was a crazy long night with dealing with the crabs and putting my tank back together.

Now the good news. I got my media basket installed. Left a few bioballs in the basket just in case. I also bought my first SPS, a ORA Neon Green Birds nest from Reef Goddess.

5932717178_8231b8a6d4_z.jpg

Also got a Red Sea Reef Foundation test kit to make sure all is ok since I got the birds nest.

Ca: 430

KH: 9.5

Mg: 1200

And here is a quik video I made:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/YEMdxEjIZRA

Updated pics of my zoa frags

Red Hornet(3 polyps now)

5941589921_326a2882c4.jpg

Ring of Fire:

5941589865_4cbe928a63_z.jpg

Red Galaxy:

5942151752_1a2cf18f92_z.jpg

Peaches and Cream:

5941589655_01c54b5a72_z.jpg

More updates. Got my 2nd SPS coral. Bird of paradise. I guess my tank would be considered a mixed reef now with Softies, LPS, and SPS now.

FTS as of 7-23-11:

[5967944900_2c3355c8b1_z.jpg

New FTS - 072311 by voodoodan_net, on Flickr

Bird Nest:

5967940010_316a613468_z.jpg

Neon Green Birds Nest by voodoodan_net, on Flickr

Bird of Paradise:

5967939894_614f5eaf7e_z.jpg

Bird of Paradise by voodoodan_net, on Flickr

Keep the comments coming everyone. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
olemanwinter

Nice job. I like the high dense rock scape. Seems more natural to me for a small tank.

I like your daisy polyps. It's the strangest thing, I've tried a couple of small frags and they just slowly disappear even as everything else is thriving. I don't know if something was eating them or what.

I found a total of 5 of these crazy crabs.

That's crazy. Where did you get your live rock?

Would you mind posting some more info/pics on your lighting?

Nice job. I like the high dense rock scape. Seems more natural to me for a small tank.

I like your daisy polyps. It's the strangest thing, I've tried a couple of small frags and they just slowly disappear even as everything else is thriving. I don't know if something was eating them or what.

That's crazy. Where did you get your live rock?

Would you mind posting some more info/pics on your lighting?

I got the rocks from my LFS. I think they just got the rock a couple days before I bough it. I love the look of the tank filled with live rock like a rock wall.

For the lights I removed the stock PC's and the holders from the hood. Then placed the chrome reflectors back and placed the 3 Panorama's in the hood with the stock clear lens holding them in. I can post pics of them when I get home from work tonight.

The daisy polyps have always done well in my tank and grow like crazy. They were my first coral I added to my tank that wasn't a frag. I have 2 frags right now from just putting 2 small rocks from my rubble next to them. Those are already growing crazy too.

• 2 weeks later...
bump that mag up to around 1400 and watch the acros grow!

I have been slowly been upping my mg up now that I have a test kit that works correctly. My red sea kit said it was around 1400 when it was really 1100 LOL. It's around 1300 right now. CA is around 420 and alk is around 9.

Also I don't have any arcos yet.

• 2 weeks later...

My lastest and my last update for my Biocube 14 as I am upgrading to a BioCube 29 next week. Cant wait!

Hardware added:

MP10 and a JBJ chiller I got used from a member here.

New coral:

I got my first 2 arco SPS(purple plasma) and had a shipping mishap with USPS and took a week to get it :angry:. But it looks like it getting better every day. Also got a unknown white with blue tips arco and it looks happy so far. The purple plasma is getting it's it's purple color back now. I though for sure I was going to lose it. Also got a green slimmer and I bleach half of it LOL so I have since moved it down lower to mid tank next to my birds nest. Also added 4 rics that are doing awesome(grren, blue/green, and 2 orange ones).

video:

and FTS:

6089420409_55669771a9_z.jpg

BioCube 14 8-28-11 by voodoodan_net, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...
Aweasome tank. Why you never posted the light setup pics, im sure many here would appreciate that including me. Thanks

There plenty of pic's on here with them and I didnt have my camera around when i did this. The Panorama LED's are just sitting under the clear lens.

Archived