Cultivated Reef

upgraded 10g to 15H

greatwit

just thought id post a couple pics of my 15h after i added a mh (150w hqi with 10k ushio)

its a little full but with lots of caves for my fish.

heres my favorite sps

your tank looks like one of those backgrounds the lfs sells. A giant wall of rock. That bottom part is interesting. The montipora is nice too.

I go through pictures after pictures of plenty of tanks on these sites and don't say a darned thing about any of them...but your tank is different. Why? I LOVE IT!! I'm normally not a fan of tons of little frags everywhere...I normally like a couple big colonies instead- but there's something about your tank that draws my attention away from the frags, and I focus more on the voerall beauty. I really enjoy your tank, it's got great rock stucture, great coral placement, and cool fish (just the firefish and gramma?). I hope with you new lighting your corals color up nicely (you can tell they browned out under the other lighting you must have had) but it honeslty looks more natural that way, since most corals aren't very colorful in the wild anyway. I have to be truthful and say I had to do a double take on your tank to recheck the size...your tank has the illusion of looking 5 times the size it really is!

Awesome job- I'll be here for the updates!

i have one other fish, some type of cardinal...i won it at a raffle

heres a pic of the hammer in my tank. thanks for the comments.

Yea i like it too. Any clams in your future? Do you plan on adding any actinic to it or you going 10k all the way. A little actinic is whats gonna get your corals to color up.

i've been thinking about switching to a 20k bulb sometime, but i dont want to loose too much par. plus id like to see some setup in person first. i really dont have room to add an actinic bulb, since its a ceiling mounted pendant.

that purple monti was completely brown a week ago so ill see how it goes. i prob will get a clam or 2 sometime in the summer, after i get a closet phytoplankton culture setup.

Greatwit a couple questions. Im thinking of doing some kind of swap with my brother for my PFO MH hood for his HQI DE pendat. How is the "shimmer lines" with the DE Pendat i never seen one in person. ALso how is the heat that thing puts out on top of the water. My PFO hood is a 175 SE with 2x32 watt pc actincs. It has a 4" fan built in and my water temp is perfect. I kinda like my pednat its 16" long with a built in spider reflector. But everyone is hyped up about these HQI DE bulbs let me know,

IME -

That 10K bulb will give you SOOO much more PAR than a 20K. I switched to 20K and recently switched back to 10K. Surpisingly, my corals actually colored up more with the extra PAR from the 10K.

gsxr1000: so far ive had zero heat issues with the pendant with an open top, but then again it hasnt been that warm here. The shimmer lines depend in part on the water movement on the surface so for me they've been great. It sounds like you have a good setup so far so if you like it then no need to switch.

Korbin: From what I've seen most people get pretty good coloration from the 10k and way better growth versus the 20k. Some of my acros browned up after being too far away from my 96w pc after i switched to the 15H. Now thats not gonna be a probelm :) .

Archived