Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

75g FOWLR - Orange spot filefish castle

d9hp

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
cool. can you get a pic?

I have been trying but I need to get my tripod back...I don't want to use the flash in case it startles them.

PICTURES!

Here's the clowns acclimating to QT last weekend:

DSC_0400.jpg

Lots of cardinals!

DSC_0425.jpg

Here's the DT fuge growing in pretty well:

DSC_0426.jpg

Pretty girl:

DSC_0421.jpg

The female OSFF today:

DSC_0455.jpg

And the day I got her:

DSC_0358%25203.jpg

One flame:

DSC_0480.jpg

Male:

DSC_0458.jpg

FTS don't mind the cyano please....working on that.

DSC_0466.jpg

I love your fish selection :wub:

Thanks! Me too... :D

+1 Love the skunk clowns!

Thanks AM. I have always wanted a pair but they are a little bigger once they get mature and I wanted to comfortably keep them for a while. I can't wait to see them in the DT. They are both eating pretty well now but the female was REALLY skittish at first. I'm not sure what it was but she has gotten much more comfortable in the tank. The cardinals are all slamming food really well and gaining color daily.

The hawks are doing well in the DT although the starry blenny does NOT like them being there one bit.

That will certainly subside in a few more days I presume.

Cyano is still in the same spot but I am going to leave the lights off this weekend since I'm going to Richmond.

The fish are eating so well now that I don't worry about having to skip days anymore.

Next tank I do, I'm getting skunk clowns. They're ridiculously cute...

Do it and you won't regret it! I really like mine.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I lost a damn cardinal last night.

I hate losing fish...let alone $25 fish.

That really sucks. The fish is the one on the far right that had sort of been cast away from the group.

No signs of damage to the outside of the fish and his scales were in good shape. I guess it was internal or maybe just...he died.

I hate losing fish.

I am going to dose Prazi in the QT now though...starting next week or whenever I get my hands on some.

In the mean time I'm going to feed feed feed. Lots of selcon. Come on survivors!

Water quality is good I did a couple of big water changes on Tuesday. Everyone else it totally norm.

Tank looks great! The fish selection is awesome. Great job!

Thanks SoCal. I am really enjoying the fish too...the tank is great to watch!

nice. are you done stocking this tank, or plant to get more?

Almost done...but not quite.

I need to get another 40lbs of sand or so since the MP40 is moving a pile around in one spot where the return meets...it's pretty damn turbulent there. Also the wrasses I want like to bury themselves in the sand.

Then I'm going to get a female red tail tamarin and yellow tail tamarin wrasse:

5385488942_323e986171_z.jpg

Anampses%20meleagrides%20RS%2008%20(1).JPG

I'm going to move the female lyretail over once I can catch her. I have a trap in the mail that should help.

Come November/December I will probably order a borbonious anthias for the tank once they are in season from NY Aquatics. It's my all time favorite fish. No, seriously:

AnthiasBorbonius4.jpg

So the final list will be pretty stout but nothing water changes can't overcome. There is no aggression in the the tank other than the OSFF pair bickering occasionally, but even that has calmed greatly.

• 5 chromis
  • 2 flame hawkfish
  • 1 royal gramma
  • 1 starry blenny
  • 2 orange spot filefish
  • 1 female lyretail anthias
  • 2 tamarin wrasses
  • 6 orange lined cardinals
  • 2 pink skunk clownfish
  • 1 borbonious anthias

Looking good. Careful on the borbonious though. They can get pretty nasty as they get bigger. I like the idea of the tamarins. Ever thought about a choati leopard wrasse.

Looking good. Careful on the borbonious though. They can get pretty nasty as they get bigger. I like the idea of the tamarins. Ever thought about a choati leopard wrasse.

Thanks Dan

Yeah I know the anthias can be pretty evil when they get huge huge but I'll have the big tank in about a year - a year and a half so I think they will be fine.

I do like the choati wrasse but I am just going to stick with the tamarins for now since I know they are going to be pretty difficult themselves. We'll see how it goes!

Nice anthias!! reminds me of Holanthias fuscipinnis

love the tough guy look lol

Thanks...but I don't have one yet! They aren't available until November or December usually.

This is simply amazing. Love your fish selection. And those OSFF are just stunning! Great to see them fattening like that.

Thanks so much. I really appreciate it...I am really enjoying all the fish so far and the tank is very busy and colorful, which is exactly what I wanted!

I'm considering building a new LED light fixture for this tank so I can see and photograph my fish better.

The other added benefit would be that I could get a very large anemone for the pink skunk clownfish...since nothing else is in the tank that I have to worry about.

I'm thinking about using a #### ton of the 1W LEDs so I have a very full and even distribution of light but the intensity won't be nearly as high as most LED units.

156 total 1W LEDs and optics -- about $180 after shipping

6 total ELN-30-48D drivers -- $150 after shipping (gotta find them in stock though)

These heatsinks would be about $60 after shipping.

I got four of the six fans from work today. I just need two more 80mm ones.

Here's my mock layout. Now each red strip represents a 1" wide heatsink in varying lengths. The ones towards the front of the tank will be tilted towards the rock structures in my tank and will have optics. The ones towards the back will point straight down and will not have optics.

led_layout.JPG

I had an hour after work and figured I'd do a to-scale version over the top down view. Each of these sinks will be mounted with two L-brackets and can be tilted as needed. Wiring will be hard to get looking good but I can do it. Trust me.

It's hard to get an idea of what this actually is without me there to walk through it...but I think its sufficient to say that it will be a combination of a PITA to build and WAY INCREDIBLY bright.

There are going to be three 'sections' in the tank. Right, middle, left.

Each will have control of the whites and blues in that section.

I plan on starting on one side of the tank and firing up the blues at 10% and then moving across the tank...raise those to 20% then bring on the whites. Those will come on across the tank as the blues continue to raise in intensity. Then bring them all back down at the end of the day in the opposite order. I'm sure it will take some fooling around to get it looking reasonable but I think it could be really awesome.

So you think I'm crazy?

Cool man, that lights gonna be killer. If its bright enough for a NEM, you should just drop softies all over the place and let it go wild. I've always wanted to do that...but with an Amano type look.

I am going to sell 4 of the chromis and only add 5 of the 6 cardinals. One will go to my reef tank.

The tank is going to be well stocked but I want it to be a bit more diverse. I do like the cardinals but I saw how big they actually get and I am a bit more worried about them in the long run.

I almost bought a copperband yesterday at the LFS. I passed and came back a few hours later. He was laying in the sand when I return....good restraint!

So I ordered one instead. I'm tired of waiting on the tamarins to come in stock...I don't know if they ever will again this year. Also, I got two purple firefish. Should be here on Wednesday!

I am going to sell 4 of the chromis and only add 5 of the 6 cardinals. One will go to my reef tank.

The tank is going to be well stocked but I want it to be a bit more diverse. I do like the cardinals but I saw how big they actually get and I am a bit more worried about them in the long run.

I'm a bit worried about this my self. I think they or the shrimp goby have eaten 2 small gobies.I haven't been able to ID my goby, and he just keeps growing. He's easily tripled in size.

I'm a bit worried about this my self. I think they or the shrimp goby have eaten 2 small gobies.I haven't been able to ID my goby, and he just keeps growing. He's easily tripled in size.

Man I wouldn't doubt it! I should have taken a picture of that one's mouth...it was HUGE.

I'm still in the process of moving some stuff around and I have to get my QT tank all squared up before lunch today.

Do you have any pictures? Gobies are awesome but I wouldn't be surprised if the cardinals snacked on one...or more.

when do you expect to have LED up and running?

Hopefully finishing the canopy in the next 2 weeks and coding the controller.

Then ordering LEDs two weeks from today. Those will take a week to arrive and then two more weeks to build.

So 8 weeks is a more realistic goal with my schedule.

Copperband Butterfly and pair of purple firefish due for delivery Wednesday.

SWEET.

Caught 3 chromis...need to catch one more and they will all go to a friend in exchange for a frag for the reef tank.

Then I'll just have one (the smallest) left in the tank. It was a little busy with cardinals and the chromis both in there.

Archived