inTank Media Baskets

The Funke Box of Filth

funkehouse

nothing exotic, its my first SW tank and all so i will stick with tried and true fish that are known to be easy. the good news is that these are also the fish that i happen to like the most. I have 1A. Occ. Clown fish in a QT tank, and i will try and find another B&W clown in 2 weeks. I will get a bigger one this time, hopefully captive bred, the last one was not. Other than that i think i will be most likely getting a Yellow Watchman Goby and a shrimp to go with him. that will put me at 3 fish, at some point down the line if i think the tank can handle a 4th i may get a firefish. or possibly sixline wrasse. But that wont be for a while if ever. I HOPE to get only nicer super bright corals, and i know i want a RBTA at some point when the tank matures more, i want to be selective though and only get one that is super bright red or that has some other cool feature. I just ordered some Chaeto from someone on here, and also a light to go in with the chaeto that will run on a reverse photo period. I can already tell, the weekends right after i get paid are always going to be my favourites now... new stock every 2 weeks !! haha
I leave my fuge light on 24/7, no PH swing ( at least on my test kit) beutiful polyps btw, when they get big enough to frag send me a PM ;-)
an emerald crab will help with the hair algae, also consider a macroalgae like chaeto or caularpa to keep it from coming back, a couple more hermits , you have plenty of snails. as for the B&W bummer there, but other than that it's looking good thus far, also have you tested your phosphate and nitrate levels? hair algae usually means a prob with one of the two.

I did test both and i was getting a Slight reading of phosphate (between 0 and 0.25) , no nitrates. BUT alas... its over. I went and picked up an emerald crab, and 5 more hermits and wow did things change and QUICK. I went from having algae growing on ever rock surface and a lot of the sand, to waking up today with all of it gone... crazy. I kept the lights on only for a few hours yesterday, between that and the emerald crab, its just gone. Im honestly amazed at how fast they gobbled it all up. I thought maybe a week, week and half it would slowly get less and less, but nope, 24 hours and they did the job ! crazy little emerald crab....

Also got some Chaeto in the mail today, put it in the fuge area with 2 underwater lights, the chaeto had tons of pods in it, love that ! Also had a Nimbler Nano super arrive today, love that thing ! so strong for such a tiny magnet ! Great quality too !

totally loving the tank right now. Not much in it, but i am getting SO much enjoyment out of just watching all the CUC do their jobs and stuff. Its nice to have a hobby or project also, it keeps my Ass out of trouble ! haha Im SO glad i didnt get a AIO nano cube or tank. Not that those are bad tanks, but i this is what i REALLY wanted, it took me more time to get here, but im glad i didnt settle and get one of those, i am loving this thing so far ! Cant wait until a week from today for payday ! I hope i can find another B & W clown, this time a HEALTHY one that is a bit bigger and hardier. Cant wait to go to some of my favourite coral shops on the other side of town, havent been there in a few months,im dying to see what new fun stuff i can get my hands on !

I did test both and i was getting a Slight reading of phosphate (between 0 and 0.25) , no nitrates. BUT alas... its over. I went and picked up an emerald crab, and 5 more hermits and wow did things change and QUICK. I went from having algae growing on ever rock surface and a lot of the sand, to waking up today with all of it gone... crazy. I kept the lights on only for a few hours yesterday, between that and the emerald crab, its just gone. Im honestly amazed at how fast they gobbled it all up. I thought maybe a week, week and half it would slowly get less and less, but nope, 24 hours and they did the job ! crazy little emerald crab....

Also got some Chaeto in the mail today, put it in the fuge area with 2 underwater lights, the chaeto had tons of pods in it, love that ! Also had a Nimbler Nano super arrive today, love that thing ! so strong for such a tiny magnet ! Great quality too !

told ya the emerald crab would help and the chaeto will help with the phosphates! :)

• 7 months later...

damn i have been horrible about keeping this updated ! The tank is doing great, I am loving it lately. I did lose the female clown, she jumped ship about a month ago, will be getting a new clown eventually, i will have to get a smaller one than my current clown i know. I also picked up a Yellow watchman goby and a snapping shrimp, i LOVE watching the shrimp constantly move sand everywhere, it seems as soon as creates one tunnel system, he fills it in and starts another one. All his movement has only helped my tank i think, the sand bed looks great, no algae or any problems at all, everything is going really good, lots of coralline algae also. here are some photos of my most recent frag additions.

I am starting to really love Zoas more and more, the colors and quick growth is so appealing. SO many color options also ! I just put a few of these frags in a few days ago:

IMG_20120919_213440_zpsa2540b11.jpg

Here are some of the SPS and LPS frags i have put in recently

IMG_20120919_213507_zps8fe33388.jpg

Here are some mushrooms :

IMG_20120919_213535_zps05377f80.jpg

my clown just finally started staying in the Rose Bubble anemone i bought about a month ago, he just moved in this week

IMG_20120919_213615_zps3db80e09.jpg

here is the Yellow Watchman Goby i bought a month ago

IMG_20120919_213655_zps50a441e7.jpg

Archived