Pod Your Reef

Problems with Epoxy and Skimmer

NanoDood

Has anyone had any problems when using epoxy in your tank??? I tried to use some to hold down some coral in my tank. About a minute I put it in my tank, my prizm skimmer started going crazy and started running wet (basically sucking out a ton of water)

Now, for the last two days, my tank has been full of bubbles and they seem to be coming out of my skimmer.

Anyone have this problem and fixed it?

Thanks,

-Kevin

that's a normal reaction from any skimmer from epoxy (or some other contaminant). it's unusual for it to last as long as it has tho. and i doubt the epoxy is still curing.

more likely you may just have to 'reset' the prizm. do a thorough cleaning, chamber, tube, and reservoir. that should bring the skimmer back to normal.

you may also want to consider a wc in case it is an issue of the water quality causing the skimmer to over-foam and let the bubbles leak out (very possible too).

carbon would also help in this case. you could drop a pouch in the outflow of the prizm. this does two things: it give you chemical filtration and impedes the flow of some of the microbubbles so they stay within the prizm's reactor chamber. hth

Yeah, ditto what tinyreef says..

Most epoxies will leach substances as they cure, especially if they aren't marine safe epoxies such as the kind sold by twolittlefishies. I'd follow TR's outlines above, add carbon and do a water change. With enough WC's you ought to be able to bring your overfoam problem under control.

Archived