Pod Your Reef

10G Upgraded to 29G

OxInYourBox

OxInYourBox

After being bitten by the SPS bug and cleaning my tank out of almost all of the Xenia (it will never be fully clean lol) I ran out of room between the frags and GSP. Here are some pics (hi res available but my web server is acting up) of the tank before the upgrade, during, after, and after an awesome weekend of frag swaps. Check out my other posts to see the Xenia Jungle that it used to be. New tank specs in the last pic.

1-4-04 (sadly the clam died when my housemate topped off my tank and didn't know I had started Kalk based top off so the tank PH hit 10.0):

OxInYourBox

The GSP that was growing on the front glass. Turned out to be 18" long and upto 8" wide. In pulling it off the glass I ripped out the middle section as evident in the pic (sorry for the quality forgot to turn on the flash so I had to enhance it):

OxInYourBox

Forgot to include the addition of a 35# mix of aquacultured and Fiji LR above.

Tank on 3/1/04 after a weekend of frag swapping :):

OxInYourBox

Tank specs:

29G AGA, ~50# of a LR mix (Fiji, Tonga, and Aquacultured), bare bottom with white posterboard underneath to reflect back up, Remora Skimmer with surface skimmer and MJ1200, 2 MJ1200's, 1 MiniJet 606, and 1 404 for circulation (might add some more), AC Mini with Ice Probe Chiller (comes on with lights), PinPoint PH Monitor, DIY Moonlights, Physh1 Auto Top Off, and I've started a kalk dripping at night until the reactor is up. I have an MRC CR-1 Ca reactor awaiting a PinPoint PH Controller then it's getting hooked up.

There are 35 different SPS (not including frags of corals in the tank), GSP, Xenia, a few button polyps scattered around, mushroom or two hiding, and a trumpet coral. 1 6 line wrasse, 1 purple pseudochromis, 1 cleaner shrimp, and a few misc astreas and red leg hermits.

One last shot. Starting to mess with the settings on the camera to bring down the brightness of the MH:

NICE NICE NICE. I like tanks with bottoms filled with LR more spots for SPS. Where did you get that poster board stuff from.

OxInYourBox

Pretty much any store with school supplies. The background is a blue one I picked up after the GSP wouldn't take hold quick enough.

How is the MH shimmer with the 20k bulb. A big reason i go with metal halides because of the awesome shimmer they produce that compacts really cant. And what is your input on the XM 20k bulb i can get one for 30 bucks id like to try it out. And lastly how come you didnt go sump this time. Or do you plan to use a hang on back overflow?

OxInYourBox

Yeah. I'm digging the background. I've done fake, ford blue, black and see thru to my wall but I like this color the best I believe. Thanks everyone. I'll work on some more shots soon.

OxInYourBox

GSXR10000-It has a good bit of shimmer. Mainly b/c I have the surface agitated 24x7 with a MiniJet 606. Really didn't notice it until I put the background on. For $30 (new or used-how old?)I'd definitely go for it. I may pick up a 10K XM bulb to see how that does (higher PAR) as well. That or possibly upgrade to 250W HQI. :) I have two IceCap 70/150 HQI ballasts here that I could use but 2x150 would be slight overkill. :)

niice will, you get the calc reactor going yet? Its going to be awesome when everything grows in. Hopefully no xenia or gsp made the switch :P !

OxInYourBox

Thanks Spencer.

Gotta order the controller (tomorrow) and either order a tank or go get one. Definitely have to drop the $80 or so on a nice aluminum one since it will be openly viewed.

Quite a bit of GSP made it which I'm going to take up to Hi Tide sometime to trade in (already traded in the fist sized piece). Damn Xenia is still sprouting up. Going to start kalking it. :)

OxInYourBox

Also I went sumpless as I didn't want to build or buy a stand as I used the one that my 10G was on. Adding a sump would have been good but more work. This was pretty much a fix to my SPS addiction and lack of room in the 10G. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived