SaltCritters.com

Hello.

heart severed

heart severed

I have been looking into a nano reef.

I have been to a few lfs around the area. (Jacksonville, FL)

And I have heard every thing from I must have a protein Skimmer, A compact light kit, and the whole lot. (this was about 600 bucks) to all I need is a good filter and a 50-50 bulb.

Being new to this and not alot of money. I was wondering how mutch I really need to spend to make a nano. I'm not really tring to grow brian coal or anything I was thinking of more along the lines of some live rock, a clown cleaners, and maybe some soft coral. I'm kinda confused so any suggestions on how I can do this on a buget please let me know.

Thank you for your advice.

heart severed

I have an emtpty ten and an elcipes 2.5.

I would pefer to do the ten cost permiting.

I also am unsure of the light and filter that the 2.5 has with it.

P.S. please pardon my spelling It's late here hehe)

I just started a AGA 10gal. You can check out the link in my sig. and I have listed everthing I own for the tank. So far even though I am just at the start of my cycle I am loving it.

AnthonyNguyen

can you drive to Houston tx? its about 12-15hrs of driving...hehe,

any way, if u were talking about 10 Gal? i has two 10 Gal and a stand , with a built canopy with 4x19 W Flourences, and 2x14W anticnic, all for $100.00. i might throw in a Pingun Power Head 600 for free. but ...u live in Jacksonvill..grrr...u could save some bigg buck.

heart severed

hmmm....... Well I haven't got the money saved yet.

(still in the research phase)

But that is a good deal. I doubt I can get the time off to drive to houston. All though I have wanted to see the city.

AnthonyNguyen

i dont mind showing you around Houston , and take you to all the SW LFS. but than IF u can make it or not. otherwise, its a waist , its being sitting on my gargage.

heart severed

well I can'tmake any comitmits to come out there right now.

You find somone to buy it before I can get out that way.

Thanks for the help I haveto get up in a bout 4 hours for work hehe.

For a 10g to cycle you are going to need at least 10lbs of LR (Up to $70 depending on where you get it) and about 10lbs of sand seeded with live sand. Then you can get a 20" PC light hood for upwards to $100. A power head (we have a maxijet 600 in ours) for about $20, a thermometer (just need a simple one for now) $7 and a 50w heater (ranges from $20 to $50 i think)

This will get you started. The tank can cycle, you can get used to doing top offs and water changes, and if the live rock is good you can have a lot of life to watch just from that.

By the time you have money for other stuff you will have a completely cycled tank and have done more research.

IMO if get a PC hood. They are cost effective, and you can get a lot of light in that 10g easily. Then you don't have to do much upgrading unless you decide to go for more serious inhabitants.

HTH!! Good luck!

First thing I will suggest is don't listen to you LFS. There are many people here at nano-reef who are keeping successful tanks who aren't trying to sell you anything, hehe. Also many of the practices used in larger tanks are not used in nano's. That being said... My first advice for you is to read the articles, and forums here for a week or so and write down all the information you can.

Here is a couple things I will suggest.

-Don't skimp on lighting (you WILL regret it later)

-ONLY use RO/DI water

-Try to have patience, your tank will appreciate it

heart severed

I won't be able to buy the stuff for a while.

The lighting alone I won't be able to get anytime soon.

I wonder what i can get out of my 2.5 gal

Are the nano cubes al they are cracked up to be?

****Read thread on nano cubes sorry for not reading before posting******

Archived