Pod Your Reef

?

Nica-Yuma

Hello, guys I want to know if I need to have a Bio-filter in my 35 gal tank. I have around 35 lbs of live sand 40 lbs of live rock and a little basket of micro algae. So do i still need a filter...

thanks.

irondragon013

Your rock and sand are your Bio filter. Bio filter media that is put in filters does little to nothing compared to the live rock in your tank. There are some people that do very simple tanks without filters but I prefer having one for mechanical filtration (filter floss) and chemical filtration (Carbon). And by micro algae do you mean Macro algae? If so I find Cheato a good one to use.

Bioballs and especially biowheels can out compete the LR in the tank because of their proximity to oxygen. Live rock, on the other hand, has anaerobic bacteria that lives deep within the rock. The biofilters cannot have these bacteria because they thrive in a low oxygen environment. When biofilters are used in the tank, part of the natural cycle is missing.

Let the live rock do its job, stock responsibly, and you shouldn't have any filtration problems.

Let the live rock do its job, stock responsibly, and you shouldn't have any filtration problems.

+1000

Doesn't mean the addition of a good skimmer isn't redundant, but in terms of biological filtering the above statement is as correct as it gets.

Mechanical filtration, provided you change the media regularly, is never a bad thing.

Some of us will disagree on this but I'll take a good skimmer over a mechanical filter.

Archived