Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

ALERT- possible RTN cause on SPS !!!!

cvarcher

Hello all,I recently think I discovered one of the many reasons SPS coral will lose rapid tissue necrosis leaving a white skeleton .I have a birdsnest colony for several months and it was doing fine until last week.I noticed some pacthes of white near the base of some branches.Each day it seemed to get worse spreading and small patches even on the tops.I thought at first it was my pygmy angel predating on it.Then I though maybe it was just bleaching.These provwed wrong.I read Eric Bornemans book on diseases and nothing matched as to why its stressing or dying off.Today I noticed a small dark almost black patch near the base with a small hole in the middle.The hole was opening and closing and there was a worm like projection in it!!!I thought of tree borers as the same parasite.I took out the colony and injected some Kalk and iodine straight into the hole and placed it in a beaker of saltwater.Lots of micro bubbles came out of the hole.I must have killed whatever the parasite.Then I broke up the colony into frags and placed them back in the tank.I will follow up on this outcome.Anyone else have this happen?

GREAT info! I don't have any SPS, and don't plan to get any for several years yet, but if I ever see any RTN on anything, I'll look for similar signs of infestation. What made you think to use iodide/iodine and kalk on it?

This is what was reccommended for aiptasia.direct injection of the solution.Seems to have worked with the microbubbles coming out of the hole.

NanoReefer53

Sounds like STN to me. When I got a new purple staghorn frag the bottom started bleaching. To save the whole coral, I had to frag off the bottom and glue it down again.

Soft corals can be predatated upon in similar fassion. I lost 4 colts this way. I finaly cought a worm and proceeded to stomp it into the pavement.

NanoReefer53

heh heh, when i caught a bad hairy brown acro crab in my humilis, i fed it to my uncle's triggers instead of stomping it to a pulp :P

Archived