ReefCleaners.org

Spankenrear's BC29 Odyssey through time and space

Spankenrear

Spankenrear

Just finished putting in 40lbs of live sand and 21 lbs of live rock, made salt water for the first time and she's on her way to cycle!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just finished putting in 40lbs of live sand and 21 lbs of live rock, made salt water for the first time and she's on her way to cycle!

Congrats!

i have a biocube 29 and i have a bunch of zoas, toadstool, xenias, ricordeas, brain coral, star polyps, and candy cane.. and everything seems to be doing great. . i wouldnt do sps bc the light isnt strong enough to support the sps.. GOOD LUCK!

underwatermonk

this looks familiar. Thanks for the clean thread. Hoping to get my cube this weekend.

Spankenrear

Day 6, not much to report. fts

IMG_2503.jpg

I checked my params to see where things were

IMG_2499.jpg

Does this seem right after a week, I truly thought there would be more ammonia at this point. I did use well cured live rock so I assume that must be part of it.

Thoughts?

Does this seem right after a week, I truly thought there would be more ammonia at this point. I did use well cured live rock so I assume that must be part of it.

Thoughts?

My understanding is that good live rock may cause you to have a very light cycle as the biofilter is already established. If it were me I'd keep testing for another week or so just to be sure. I guess one way to check would be to throw a tiny bit of food in and see if you get an ammonia spike.

Good luck!

Spankenrear

Clean Up Crew!

IMG_2518.jpg

All told there's

7 - Blue Legged Hermits

8 - Red leg Hermit

5 - Astrea Snails

5 - Margarita Snails

5 - Cerith Snails

1 - Skunk cleaner shrimp

My GF bonding with Shrimpy

IMG_2537.jpg

Up next there's a local frag swap this Saturday, hopefully get some good deals :P

WillWork4Frags

Your tank is coming along nicely, can't wait to see how it turns out. I see that you shook out a lot of the nitrate solution while shaking it lol. I think all of us reefers can sympathize with that. Hopefully api will come up with a new cap soon.

Spankenrear
Your tank is coming along nicely, can't wait to see how it turns out. I see that you shook out a lot of the nitrate solution while shaking it lol. I think all of us reefers can sympathize with that. Hopefully api will come up with a new cap soon.

Better the second time, I hold it down pretty tight now haha

WillWork4Frags
Better the second time, I hold it down pretty tight now haha

Haha, yeah I usually wrap a paper towel around it. No matter what I do it still leaks.

Spankenrear
i like how you are experiencing the experience of your odyssey through space and time.

Is there any other way? :P

Spankenrear

Not a lot. CuC is awesome, tons of fun to watch. The cleaner shrimp has a ton of personality, he dances as soon as he sees us and follows us around the tank.

There's a frag swap here locally tomorrow so hopefully I'll have some awesome additions by the end of tomorrow. Also might pick up a yellow goby as a first fish.

My hope for tomorrow is some Zoas, Frogspawn or Hammerhead and a Feather Duster

I'll add some picks tomorrow night.

Not a lot. CuC is awesome, tons of fun to watch. The cleaner shrimp has a ton of personality, he dances as soon as he sees us and follows us around the tank.

There's a frag swap here locally tomorrow so hopefully I'll have some awesome additions by the end of tomorrow. Also might pick up a yellow goby as a first fish.

My hope for tomorrow is some Zoas, Frogspawn or Hammerhead and a Feather Duster

I'll add some picks tomorrow night.

Good luck!

Spankenrear

Well the Frag Party was a bit of a bust, the weather was super nice (rare here lately) so I think that kept some people away.

I did however get a single head of Frogspawn and a Yellow Watchman Goby

IMG_2555.jpg

IMG_2542.jpg

Also picked up a Clown on Sunday (pics of him later)

FTS

IMG_2557.jpg

Next I'm thinking a Firefish or a Sixline Wrasse

Spankenrear

Picked up a Six Line Wrasse last night, I'll try and get some pics tonight, did a water change last night so it wasn't the best for picture taking.

Purple Firefish should be in next week

Spankenrear

Couple new additions

Clown (I have a four year old and a two year old so he was a must, they have Nemo, they're happy)

IMG_2592.jpg

and a Six Line Wrasse

IMG_2599.jpg

FTS (June 14)

IMG_2604.jpg

Got a Purple Firefish on order.

• 2 weeks later...
Spankenrear

Update time. Added the skimmer, I took some pics of the airline mod (step by step provided by NU2REEFIN)

Original airline removed

IMG_2607.jpg

I drilled out the elbow as mine was glued id and didn't seem like it would pull out. Added new line (cut to 3" above skimmer body after)

IMG_2610.jpg

Voila!

IMG_2613.jpg

IMG_2614.jpg

Got a used sump light, took it apart and fixed it up

IMG_2624.jpg

Velco'd to the back

IMG_2626.jpg

Got Cheato in the rack last week, all is well.

My Purple Firefish came in yesterday

IMG_2632.jpg

The whole gang (Clown, 6 Line Wrasse, Watchman Goby, Firefish and Cleaner Shrimp)

IMG_2649.jpg

Still haven't decided on the last fish, I only plan on 5 to keep the bio load manageable.

Up next will be the addition of an MP10 that should be in next week. (Awesome)

Archived