Innovative Marine Aquariums

ADA 60-P sumpless, HOBless MACRO experiment

tako

damn, this tank is amazing. seriously amazing...

This tank has matured beautifully and looks so natural.

JEALOUS!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Testing out a webcam stream of my tank. Probably going to leave it up until 12pm PST when the lights go out.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/tako-ashi

Once again, I'm going to be leaving the tank unattended for quite a while in the next couple weeks. I'm not sure if being able to see what is going on when I'm helpless to do anything about it is really a good idea hahaha.

damn, this tank is amazing. seriously amazing...

This tank has matured beautifully and looks so natural.

JEALOUS!

Thanks, yours is looking pretty amazing also. I always wanted to try some above water features to keep some interesting crabs and have my hermit crabs come out.

love the stream. more people should live stream their tanks

Thanks, I'd like to get a high-quality feed, but it's hooked up to a Linux media center, so I can't install the UStream program. I've tried some of the other major streaming websites and the results have been about the same.

There's two things holding me back from doing this all the time.

1) Even with this computer designed to be low power (<30w idle). It still sucks down about 60w when encoding the video. That's more than my tank is typically using. I have an old netbook sitting around, so I may see if it has enough CPU power to stream the video.

2) The reflection off the tank shines directly at the door of my bathroom and bedroom. I'm pretty sure no one wants to see a man walking around in just his boxers. I'm may see if I can get a linux program to only stream while the tank lights are on.

Wow, cool livestream! I love Yashas

Yashas are pretty awesome. Lots of attitude. I think I've also figured out he also spits food back out for the pistol. He now swims to the surface with the clowns and grabs some then sticks half his body in the hole, convulses a little, then comes back up for more food. I really wish it was possible to watch the interactions between them in the cave.

Saweeeeet! Tank looks great BTW. Loving the stream.

Thanks. I saw Fry's had a HD webcam with auto-focus on sale for $19.99 so I said what the hell.

• 4 weeks later...

Tank survived my 10 day business/sightseeing trip to Europe. I was able to check on the tank a few times thanks to the webcam.

After I was back I had a strange failure of my ATO system. I woke up one morning and saw the tank was almost ready to overflow. Luckily, I try not to keep too much top-off water on hand. The salinity dropped from 1.025 to 1.022. I slowly raised it back up over the course of two days by running a computer fan. Corals were annoyed for a bit, but no die off.

I figured somehow both float switches failed, but I tested them and they seem to be working. The solid-state relays seem to function and the exit of the tube is above the water level. My only large snail couldn't possibly reach both float switches at one, so I'm pretty stumped about this one.

Archived