Pod Your Reef

green open brain needs help

Cam barr

hey gauys and gals. ijust bought a green open brain about a week ago.and it seemd to be doing fine just not opening up fully.i noticed some sort of leasion on the edge.and when i looked at it closer i noticed some sort of little bug or parisite in side the hole.i do have a digi cam i need to charge the batts. ill discribe this little creatire thes white almoast clear whith a fan type catching device that it sends out for what i think is to catch food i think it might be some kind of shrimp. the brain seems fine but it dosent seem right.what should i do get seachems reef dip or what about a fw dip to see if it will kill the little bugger. i will post pics soon.

cam

Wow, I've never seen anything like that. Most fan-using critters in the reef world are sponges, corals, or worms. I'd say it's most likely some sort of worm. Can you tell if it has legs or eyes or anything?

But DON'T do a fw dip with a coral. You can do it to fish, because their bodies osmoregulate (can control, to some degree, how much water leaves or enters their body), but corals lack that ability. If they're not in the right density of water, the water in their cells will get sucked right out, and they will be bardly injured.

Basicly, what hurts the parasite, hurts the coral.

I suppose you could try for a VERY short period, in hopes the parasite will jump ship. Or you can try blasting the parasite with fresh water while the coral is in the tank. But again, there's a good chance it won't do any good.

Honestly, I don't know how to get rid of it, short of a pair of tweezers or something.

Matthew

thanks yea i think it has legs when it sends out its fan or net type thing it brings it back and i guess eats what ever its cauf=ghts then sends it back out. the only down side to all of this is the brain is a really cool lookin and the parisite looks almast clear so it will be hard to take a pic

Archived