Coral Vue Hydros

adding live sand to cycling tank Good/Bad?

tennowataru

tennowataru

I'm just wodering is it alright to add more sand to a cycling tank. I got 20lb of araga-live pink fiji sand in my 20l tank. I would like to add more sand to it probably jsut regular sand from the LFS and get my live rock to seed it. Right now my tank is in it 7th day of cycling. The sand right now has a brown film on it. I'm worried that if I put more sand over it it might trap gas in the sand. I'm planing to get some nassaruis snails to shift the sand after cycle. Oh I'm looking to probably add 10 to 20 more pounds of sand

The brown film are diatom algaes, that feed on silicates and phosphates in your water. You won't harm the tank by adding more sand to it and covering them up.

Do some reading up on deep sand beds (DSB's) and plenums. There may be some info on them in the FAQ section. I think that the more you research using a DSB in your reef tank, the more that you will understand the role they can play as a site for NNR (natural nitrate reduction). I won't go into it here because it's such a well worn topic.

Archived