ReefCleaners.org

Egg Crate DIY Frag rack

irondragon013

irondragon013

I made a couple of these lately and figured I would share my method. This is extremely easy to do, only need three things: Diagonal Cutters, Zip Ties, and Egg Crate light diffuser material.

5600841389_2358ef785c_z.jpg

First gather the materials: the egg crate was left over from making 2 tank covers and a couple other frag racks, you get a lot out of one sheet.

5600838987_79a399c2c5_z.jpg

Next cut out the frag holding section. I made mine narrow to fit my tank, most any shape will do.

5600839407_312aa90f98_z.jpg

Next cut out the holding arms. You decide the depth of the rack at this point. Here are the ones I made.

5600839149_31f6f230b7_z.jpg

Then zip tie them to the rack.

5601423266_b33f212df4_z.jpg

5600839951_7db25ff833_z.jpg

Then trim the ends and it is ready to go in your tank.

5601424008_52e1bc4036_z.jpg

In my tank:

5600840987_5b535c23a6_z.jpg

Have fun and be safe doing this. Feel free to ask questions or leave comments.

paradox_of_reef
Cool idea. Turned out nice. now you need to fill it with frags and post another picture.

He made this one for me

5596117198_7bd3708ae6_z.jpg

It amazing, fits right to the side of my tank

irondragon013
Cool idea. Turned out nice. now you need to fill it with frags and post another picture.

Its full of frags now, I'll see about a picture. I'm in the process of turning my 10g into a frag tank, so it won't be used for long. The one I made for paradox is a little more complex but sits level in the tank.

irondragon013
This is pro

lol thanks. Its quick and easy. You can make it as complex as you want or as simple as you want. Egg crate is very useful stuff and I like to tinker way too much.

lol thanks. Its quick and easy. You can make it as complex as you want or as simple as you want. Egg crate is very useful stuff and I like to tinker way too much.

Egg crate is awesome stuff. I love building things with it. I made MD a rip off of stevieT's ac70 media rack out of the stuff. Knowing that he already was getting the original, of coarse.

I would never have thought of making the arms that hold it to the tank that way. Very ingenuitive.

irondragon013
Egg crate is awesome stuff. I love building things with it. I made MD a rip off of stevieT's ac70 media rack out of the stuff. Knowing that he already was getting the original, of coarse.

I would never have thought of making the arms that hold it to the tank that way. Very ingenuitive.

Being a college student forces me to try to not spend too much money on my tank lol. You can get two tank covers, multiple frag racks like this one and still have left over egg crate out of one sheet. That is half the cost of a nice looking frag rack for all of that.

irondragon013
You are up early Dragon. I enjoy my frag rack lots

lol I slept through the actinics coming on, but the daylights got me.

I like the hanger design, very orginal

Thanks. It surprising how strong this stuff is. I wasn't sure if it would hold up at first.

Archived