ReefCleaners.org

Baby snails on my Spiny Star Astrea?

q2b

I have two spiny star astreas. One looks normal on the bottom (like this: http://www.oceanicaquatics.co.uk/photo/2009-11/snail2.JPG )

The other looks completely different. Tonight I noticed that there were black antennae coming out from the side of his shell. At first I thought it was his own, but realize there were several of them. And they seem to be coming out of tiny shells that are clamped onto his back? Could they be baby snails? They don't have spiny star shells. Or hitchhikers? I've had this guy for several months, just never had a chance to see his underside this close before.

ETA: You can see one big one at 10 o'clock, another at 4 o'clock, and a couple more at noon, one, and two (although those three aren't sticking out as much as the first two.)

Also, there's a worm-shaped (but hard) thing right on the bottom. I swear I've seen some sort of feathery filter come out of it. Any idea what that might be?

post-64519-1302236390_thumb.jpg

Builder Anthony

I dont know what those are except the tube thing that just a feather duster.So ive been thinking of getting those snails.What sort of things does it do.Have you noticed any bad habbits?It looks like a real nice snail.I guess those are his buddys.Do the black ones clean the glass?

The two I have are fairly good eaters. They are always either on the glass or on rocks, usually the glass.

The little black snails (??) stick their heads out, but it doesn't look like they're cleaning the glass. Maybe just getting bits from the water?

I'm very tempted to see if I can get one off the star snail, just to see what it looks like...

carbon-mantis

I've heard of some scallop-type mollusks parasitizing snails(have one on a cerith of mine, actually) but the little fellows in your pic almost look like tiny astrea snails.

RayWhisperer
I've heard of some scallop-type mollusks parasitizing snails(have one on a cerith of mine, actually) but the little fellows in your pic almost look like tiny astrea snails.
Please link. I believe I have one. Just wanna learn more about what species, etc.
carbon-mantis

There's a brief mention of them on the Chuck's Addiction snail ID page. Family Hipponicidae, more closely related to limpets than scallops. I've searched the internet before, and there seems to be some debate as to whether they actually parasitize the snail or if they're simply commensal.

I imagine that if they're parasitic they'd have to bore through their host's shell. If the host ever dies(or if you wanted to sacrifice the creature FOR SCIENCE!), I suppose that this could be confirmed by a careful dissection/examination.

There's a research article floating around out there called-

The biology of Hipponix australis (Gastropoda: Hipponicidae) on Nassarius pauperatus (Nassariidae) in Princess Royal Harbour, Western Australia

-but, I can't find a version of it that doesn't cost money to download.

RayWhisperer

Thanks, that's certainly what I have, though mine is a bit different. It's about the size of a pencil eraser now. Perhaps as it grows larger, it'll become easier to identify.

Archived