Top Shelf Aquatics

Good lighting for a galaxy 5 tank.

Eddie

Does anyone own a galaxy 5 tank, and would they mind telling me what sort of lighting the used. also i was wanting to keep a tricolor acropora in it. would this be possible and what kind of lighting would i need?

i really doubt it that it would work, most sps requires higher lights..i would think in a 5 gallon, 2x 36 W should be good enough...but others may tell you different...good luck man!

halide pure and simple. get a pendant . Run the tank with an open top and the light about 7 inches from the surface. I swa some decent ones on E bay recently. Check there.

If you can live without the acro, there is a small retro kit that included a quad singlsesocket 27 watt pc 55k and a 9 watt o3 actinic pc ans a reflector and ballast from csl fer like 70.00 I use it on all my nanos.

Christopher Marks

If you want to keep SPS in that tank, I don't think it will be possible to fit sufficient lighting into the existing hood. The best you could fit in there would be a 32w supernova fixture...maybe two if you removed the filter.

NanoReefer53

tri-color will definintely need MH to keep its color. A 250w 10k would be nice but then u would have to deal with heat in such a small body of water. Also, SPS require really good water quality, without it, there's no point in trying.

Archived