Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

BTA or Condy?

Puffy

my friend had a 10 gallon and is going to get a 96watt PC quad fixture for it, and is getting a huge fan that has a probe to keep the temp stable, but with 2 false perculas, should he get a BTA or a condy? we already know what to feed it, and the anemone won't be added till like 7 or 8 months after the tank is set up and STABLE

Percs (or any clown for the matter) do not naturally host in a Condy. In fact, the Condy *might* eat the percs. I would definately go with a BTA.

-Justin

i'd go with the condy first. $3.99 versus $39.99 is the reason. regardless of whether it'll host or not (it may) your friend might want to 'practice' before going for a bta.

if the condy survives and thrives then the bta should under the same conditions. it isn't as pretty but how often do bta's actually look like bta's (not often ime). any mishap (i.e. learning curve) is done with a much cheaper, plentiful, and readily available animal.

imo it's like learning to drive a stick-shift. practice on the honda or the porsche?

PORSCHE! PORSCHE! *vrooooooooom*

I agree with tiny, they're good "starter" anemones, but you'd have better luck hosting with a BTA. But hey, the clowns may host the condy. If you're confident, or stupid enough, skip the condy and get the BTA. If you think you need practice, just get a condy for a little while.

-Justin

ONLY put anenomes in well seasoned tanks. ie 6 months plus! this is becasue in newer tanks water chemistry flucuates. as the tank matures it will become infinatly more stable.

i have to agree with tiny. condys are great anenomes to keep. just be sure to place htem with their foot buried in the sand and partially under a rock, in moderate flow and good lighting. i've only had one that decided to move asfter placing him in these conditions. (apparently he likes the hole in the rock that was right above him) i have had four and three of the four have out grown my tank and are now happily residing in other larger tanks. (the first one was a tiny little thing that got the #### beat out of it by a clown fish)

Hehe. I'd go with the BTA because I know that the clowns aren't likely to host the condy. Condys are also very stingy/aggressive towards neighbors, so be careful with other corals in the tank if there are any. Not like you have much choice, because the condy is going to wander around and find the home "it" likes, not necessarily where you want it. But then again, so will a BTA. Just make sure it can't get sucked up into a powerhead and offer it some food once a week.

Archived