ReefCleaners.org

Please help me with my experiment

NanoAmyDee

There is so much talk about what type of lighting is best. We wanted to do our own exp with duplicate tanks where the only difference is the lighting. We have a 20g with the Custome Sea Life 24" PC lighting system, and when we move we would like to do another 20g with MH. We have never done MH and my question is...

In a 20g that will house an anemone (sebae for instance), shrooms, GSPs, and soem various other more difficult corals would a pendant be enough? Or do I need to add some other lighting (don't include lighting for a fuge) Let me know your thoughts on this as I want to plan this out carfully.

Thanks!!

well if you truly want to test this there are many more factors than just lighting. there is water quality as well. if you want to test this out and it be effective to produce any results they will need to be plumbed together that way they have the same exact water quality. This will also add to the overall stability of the system because 40 gallons of tank plus whatever sump you add. a pendant would be plenty, however the light distribution may be a little week on the 30" tank.

oh and atintic bulbs to givethe nice vibrant colors to your corals and anenomes. plus allows you to do dawn-dusk lighting.

Plumbing them together would probably work. I could build a cabinet for both to sit on and have a sump underneath. Or a fuge behind it.

I was looking at some of the combination light hoods that offer 2 MH and 2 PCs. Side by side I think it would be pretty cool. The tough part I think would be to get similar chunks of LR. I want the internal setup to be as exact as possible so that the coral and anemone and possibly clam positions will be the same. That way I can remove any issues of distance. My plan is to get a shipment of TBS package and split it between the two tanks, so that I can sort of ensure that it is as similar as possible.

God this experiment is getting expensive! LOL I think it might be interesting though to see the differences side by side. Rat eof growth, color, splitting and feeding...there are so many things that can be effected by lighting.

Archived