Coral Vue Hydros

RapidLED Par38 Review

Milkeeway

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drift Monkey
No problems with weight at all? No modifications, just out of the box support?

Not sure the weight diff between rapidled's par38 and evil's par38, but it hold's evil's up just fine with no modifications.

Drift Monkey
That's what I use for my PAR 30 bulb. Thanks for copying me drift :P

You're welcome! :P Your par30 is much lighter so I guess it's still good to know it can hold heavier bulbs.

I currently have this same light on my pico with 80 degrees. Its the best par LED setup as far as color and spread I have used so far. I have experience with nanotuners par 30, par 38 12k, par 38 20k.

I believe its the amount of LED's used total of 7 that helps the spread with 80 degree optics and the use of the warm white that makes the colors more vivid. The bulbs that don't have the warm white the colors looked washed out compared to the rapidled par bulb.

That's what I use for my PAR 30 bulb. Thanks for copying me drift :P

I may be copying you too very soon :P

I currently have this same light on my pico with 60 degrees. Its the best par LED setup as far as color and spread I have used so far. I have experience with nanotuners par 30, par 38 12k, par 38 20k.

I believe its the amount of LED's used total of 7 that helps the spread with 80 degree optics and the use of the warm white that makes the colors more vivid. The bulbs that don't have the warm white the colors looked washed out compared to the rapidled par bulb.

In the second paragraph you mention 80 degree optics? Do you have the 60 degree optics over your pico and 80 over another tank?

I agree with you about the color and the warm white makes a huge difference! When you cover it up it looks very blue.

So for me and everyone else reading this, tell us about your long term experience with this bulb?

Drift Monkey

Though the additional LEDs probably make the color "more complex" on the rapid par38, evil's par38 uses 5 LEDs is driven at 21w vs 17w...I wonder which bulb actually throws more light? Just curious.

I know exactly what you mean! Common sense tells me more wattage=more light but LED's are an amazing technology and I just don't know enough about them to be sure! RapidLED uses the same Cree XR-E LED as Evil but Evil states he slightly overdrives the blue but that it works out to each LED running at 3.5 watts. I am curious if Rapid runs their LEDs at a similar wattage?

thank you all for the advise. I will soon be getting this bulb and setting up the set up that most of you all have. I will try to find more about the height as i get more into this project. Once again THANX

I may be copying you too very soon :P

In the second paragraph you mention 80 degree optics? Do you have the 60 degree optics over your pico and 80 over another tank?

I agree with you about the color and the warm white makes a huge difference! When you cover it up it looks very blue.

So for me and everyone else reading this, tell us about your long term experience with this bulb?

It was a typo i have the 80 degree optics on my rapidled par setup

You won't be disappointed!

A far as the height goes your corals will tell you where to put it haha, but it's good to get a starting point! Haha seems like everyone keeps their bulb at slightly different heights.

Your welcome I look forward to seeing your build come by and post a picture for us when you he it set up. That being said anyone with the RapidLED Par30 or Par38 post a pic for everyone to see!

It was a typo i have the 80 degree optics on my rapidled par setup

How long have you had the bulb, and how are your corals doing under it?

Little off topic wawawang but what did u do with your old par bulbs? i know your local but never seen them on hrrc or anything and im trying to set up a tank and need 2 par38s for light. didnt know if you still got them and wanted to get rid of them

You won't be disappointed!

A far as the height goes your corals will tell you where to put it haha, but it's good to get a starting point! Haha seems like everyone keeps their bulb at slightly different heights.

Your welcome I look forward to seeing your build come by and post a picture for us when you he it set up. That being said anyone with the RapidLED Par30 or Par38 post a pic for everyone to see!

How long have you had the bulb, and how are your corals doing under it?

Maybe over 2 months now. Everything is doing great. I tried growing some digi under it but it didn't turn out so well. color faded and no growth

Little off topic wawawang but what did u do with your old par bulbs? i know your local but never seen them on hrrc or anything and im trying to set up a tank and need 2 par38s for light. didnt know if you still got them and wanted to get rid of them

PMed

Sorry to hear about the digi! But I'm glad to hear everything else is doing great. Do you think the digi didn't grow and lost color due to lack of light, too much light, or possibly a combination of one of the two with other unknown factors? It may help others using this thread for specific information!

Thanks a lot for the update and review! It puts a good face to the bulb...

I believe this is the bulb of choice for my next set up now.

I know exactly what you mean! Common sense tells me more wattage=more light but LED's are an amazing technology and I just don't know enough about them to be sure! RapidLED uses the same Cree XR-E LED as Evil but Evil states he slightly overdrives the blue but that it works out to each LED running at 3.5 watts. I am curious if Rapid runs their LEDs at a similar wattage?

Our LEDs are being driven at 500mA, while Evil's I believe are closer to 900-1000mA. Our LEDs are consuming about ~2W each, but don't get too caught up on wattage as ultimately it's not all that important.

You have used Evils par 38's also right? and you like the color on this one better? just trying to decide between the 2. It would make sense that the Rapid lights look cooler with the 4 different types of leds they have. if you have had both i would love to hear what you think about Evils lights vs these. thanks !

You have used Evils par 38's also right? and you like the color on this one better? just trying to decide between the 2. It would make sense that the Rapid lights look cooler with the 4 different types of leds they have. if you have had both i would love to hear what you think about Evils lights vs these. thanks !

I do not own Evil's Par38. I have seen it in action and I prefer the color of the RapidLED bulb. However on page 2 user "wawawang" posted a comment saying he has had experience with the Nanotuners bulb and also prefers the RapidLED!

The main reason I personally chose to get a RapidLED bulb over an Evil bulb was not only because I thought that RapidLED light combination would be interesting but because they ship with 60 degree optics while maintaining their warranty! Where as Evil's bulbs come with 40 degree optics only with the option to purchase the optics separately and install them yourself(which is fairly easy) however it voids the warranty. Being my first LED purchase I didn't want to take the chance something would fail down the road. To clarify these are just my honest opinions about some of the reasons I chose this bulb I have not seen or read of anyone having problem's with either bulb!

I do not own Evil's Par38. I have seen it in action and I prefer the color of the RapidLED bulb. However on page 2 user "wawawang" posted a comment saying he has had experience with the Nanotuners bulb and also prefers the RapidLED!

The main reason I personally chose to get a RapidLED bulb over an Evil bulb was not only because I thought that RapidLED light combination would be interesting but because they ship with 60 degree optics while maintaining their warranty! Where as Evil's bulbs come with 40 degree optics only with the option to purchase the optics separately and install them yourself(which is fairly easy) however it voids the warranty. Being my first LED purchase I didn't want to take the chance something would fail down the road. To clarify these are just my honest opinions about some of the reasons I chose this bulb I have not seen or read of anyone having problem's with either bulb!

thank you, exactly the info i was looking for! i want the 60 degrees lenses anyways so these rapid lights sound like the ticket !

Hey guys! I'd really appreciate it if you would click the unboxing link in my signature and watch my video and maybe even subscribe! I plan on reviewing a lot more and will be communicating with companies to send me their products so everyone here at Nano-Reef can benefit! Of course they will need to see that I have a solid group of followers! I'd really like to pursue this and I could use everyone's help! If I am allowed to keep the products I plan on auctioning them off here at Nano-Reef!

I have a cube 19w,13w,16h . I mainly have low and mid light corals . I would like to try an acro. I have to upgrade lights from 64 w pcs " Things have survived". I have been considering the par 38 between rapids and Orphek . I dont mind the spot effect minimally for I can use the shade to my advantage , But a definite circle is not what I am going for. Can this tank be lit with one bulb ? I can move it way up if need be. I seem to spend time with my nose to the glass. How obtrusive are these spotlights when viewing so close ? Do they cause a glare from above ? Do Orphek pr-25 provide the same spread as the others ?

Archived