SaltCritters.com

Clean up crew suggestions

Djm9288

i've done quite a bit of research before i picked up my clean up crew.  it really helped me decide which hermits and snails i should choose after my nitrogen cycle ended.  But its quite hard to figure out exactly how each specimen preforms unless you have actual experience.  i have an eclipse 12 and my clean up crew consists of 2 red legged hermits, 2 scarlet reef hermits, 3 astrea snails, 3 margarita snails, and one turbo snail.  i can tell you how each of these species preforms in my tank.  

scarlet reef crabs are slow but steady when it comes to the clean up process and they're not big fans of sand, they'd rather be hanging out on my live rock.

red legged hermits are pigs! they will eat everything and anything anywhere in my tank.  along with their goat like eating habits they also work around the clock, i dont think i've ever seen them stop eating.  one thing does concern me though.  When i first added them i did observed them eating little chunks of coralline algae.  as time progressed i've kept them busy with other things in my tank i.e, diatoms, live sand, and other crap that has fallen on the ground so i see no need to get rid of them as of yet.

My Margarita snails are the best addition to my tank.  they are very hard working, not tempermental at all, and will travel everywhere in my tank except on sand.

My turbo is also a good addition. Eventhough he is quite large and slob like (i call him jabba) he does his algae eating job on the acrylic and live rock.  Also i've found he will travel on the sand to get to his destination.

Last are my Astrea snails, i've heard great things about these snails but my experience has not matched up with the hype.  they seem to be quite timid when it comes to moving  around the tank and have never ventured on my acrylic as of yet.  One in particular is very clumsy and has fallen off the rock three times needing my help to get back up.

hope this helps and keep me updated on your venture.

WW

My astreas are excellent.  They get everywhere.  Even the powerheads.  Sand, rock whatever.  And they make a good job of it too.  

Best to get about 4 astreas, and 6 of mixture of others, plus about 8 mixture of hermits.

You dont want too many snails.  Once all the algae is gone they will starve if there is too many.

Hope this helps.  Others with same size tank may give a better estimate of whats really needed in your sized tank.

Razor blades, a scrubbie,  a tooth brush, and RODI water. ye needs nothing more than a little elbow grease and some snails...

Archived