Top Shelf Aquatics

Sneak Peek into Sogreedy's box of water

sogreedy23

• 2 weeks later...
sogreedy23

Haha your avy is pretty funny. I'm still probably a couple weeks off from actually ordering the bulbs, just wanted to have an idea of what I'd get ahead of time. I'll probably order them after my first pay check whenI start working over the summer (probably three weeks). I think I'm going to order three blue+, a purple plus and an ABS just so I have a little bit of flexibility in the colors I want. Ugh, thats another $100, well that sucks lol.

In other news, I had noticed that I hadn't seen my YWG for about three weeks, but my roommates said they saw it at some point so I figured he just didn't like me very much. In cleaning my room out and getting ready to move back home, I see him on the floor, all dried up and crusty under my desk :( . He must have been there for a month or so, but I do have a makeshift lid for him, which sucks. I'm looking to add another fish to my system, maybe a black and white clown to pair with mine or a pygmy wrasse. I'm leaning a little more towards the clown, but we'll see. I'm also considering a semi snowflake (after I saw Hype's I fell in love lol), but only if I can get one on the semi-cheap.

For future coral, I'm considering a small torch, maybe even a mini elegance. Has anyone kept one? Did you have any success? It was one of my favorite coral getting into the hobby, but heard a lot about them failing in captivity. After a bit of research it seems healthier and hardier ones are now being imported.

I'll also be getting an RBTA in probably a week or two. I'm a bit worried because I don't really have much room for it, but I wanna give it a shot as my girlfriend's dad insists I take one of his clones.

The upgrade will be just about complete once I get home after my exam on Tuesday! So exciting!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry! It's been a reeeeal hectic summer to say the least, and I haven't really been on NR as much as when I'm in school. But! you guys shall get an update soon! I just moved it back into my dorm and some coral isn't opening up yet, and my scape isn't all that great. I'll try to get a picture up tonight though!

New additions since the last update: Recently picked up a sixline wrasse, got a b/w ORA clown about two months ago, and also got an RBTA.

For the new pictures, I'm going to try my hand at a DSLR, but its an olympus and I'm not as smooth with it to say the least.

Quick teasers while I learn how to use this damn camera -_-

qqvakw.jpg

A look at the owners of the tank!

3515m9y.jpg

Still trying to get a picture of my sixline, but he's a fast little bugger and this camera is awful at shooting in low light. Meh.

• 2 weeks later...

What do I need to look out for when only using natural filtration. I want to do this with my pico 3 gallon at work. It has about 5 lbs of live rock and a ball of chaeto, my plan was to remove the HOB and add the smallest powerhead I can find and go from there.

looking good. what bulb combo did you end up going with? im using 3 blue +. 1 purple +, 1abs, and a uvl super actinic in a 6x39 tek fixture and weet is right, the super actinic is pretty dim, though it does help with the pop. i think im going to replace the super actinic with something else, the purple + with a kz fiji purple, and the abs with a kz 14k to see if i get better pop. its currently an ice blue with decent pop all around, but i want a similar color with more pop. are the seems on the tank pretty clean? and was the price reasonable, bc i may look into having a tank made rather than buying one so i can have the dimensions i want.

• 2 weeks later...
What do I need to look out for when only using natural filtration. I want to do this with my pico 3 gallon at work. It has about 5 lbs of live rock and a ball of chaeto, my plan was to remove the HOB and add the smallest powerhead I can find and go from there.

When using all natural filtration, you've just got to be a bit more weary about how many nutrients are entering the system (coral or fish feedings) and the rate at which you remove them since you don't have the aid of chemicals. I used to change water about every two weeks when I had just my clowns with the corals. With adding the sixline and a nem, there is obviously a much higher bioload and now I change 5 gallons every week and a half, which is just about half of the total water volume.

In a 3 gallon tank, large percent water changes are very easy and I'd capitalize on that. Chaeto is an excellent method of nutrient export also. You can change a gallon (probably like 50% of actual water volume in your system) every week and keep everything looking great. The other thing is you don't want to overdo the water changes- for the most part your corals will like a little dirt in the water.

If you have any other questions let me know, sorry I took so long to answer though, I've been quite busy with school and whatnot.

looking good. what bulb combo did you end up going with? im using 3 blue +. 1 purple +, 1abs, and a uvl super actinic in a 6x39 tek fixture and weet is right, the super actinic is pretty dim, though it does help with the pop. i think im going to replace the super actinic with something else, the purple + with a kz fiji purple, and the abs with a kz 14k to see if i get better pop. its currently an ice blue with decent pop all around, but i want a similar color with more pop. are the seems on the tank pretty clean? and was the price reasonable, bc i may look into having a tank made rather than buying one so i can have the dimensions i want.

I ended up going with the tried and true Blue+, Purple+ and ABS. I was considering the super actinic mainly because I don't really need the extra brightness-or par- that the others offer since my tank is only like 8 inches deep.

I've been itching to get an AI Sol nano, maybe even the Sol blue, but with the dimensions of my tank I'd have to mount it about a foot off the water to get the coverage I need. I also can't mount anything on the walls or ceiling so I'm kind of S.O.L (I thought the pun was funny :happy: )

I'm really happy with the tank that Chris hooked me up with. I twas a really reasonable price, but as with shipping all tanks, transport of the tank is outrageous. Outside of that, he gave me a sweet deal and the starphire option wasn't much more, hence me opping for it. If you're looking for some maybe awkward dimensions, to me, theres no substitute. If I had gotten the ADA 60F, which I REALLY wanted but size was the concern, I'd feel constricted in my options and ultimately not as happy as I should have been when dropping that amount of money. I ended up going for something that I knew I'd be happy with the first time around. If you're gunna do it big (well more expensive), do it right, eh?

Archived