Cultivated Reef

power head durning cycle??

KansasCoral-Nu-B

KansasCoral-Nu-B

Just curious,

is a HOB filter (w/out filter media in) enough water flow during cycle or should i be running my power head full time? the reason i ask is that about 3 hours ago i shut the power head down and cleaned off my LR with a baster and stuck the filter in my HOB w/out carbon. so that it would suck up some of the crap i blasted off of my LR. now that the Power Head has been off i noticed that i can see lots of sea monkey type critters swimming around and some micro-jellyfish looking things on the glass. should i leave the power head off for a few days to let the new found creatures develop? or turn the power head back on as normal? the HOB seems to create a decent current its 120gph. the power head is 160gph.

here's the info: 10g , 13#LR, 20#LS, 2-20w 50/50 PC's, 2 turbo's, 2 asteria's, 8 blue leg, 1 margarita, 2 camel shrimp (going before i add coral).

The need for water movement is to prevent dead spots in the rock, thus fully curing the rock. The water flow you have should be sufiicient however adding the PH won't hurt.

Not knowing the size of the container you are using makes it difficult to answer, but optimal flow is definitely good. The critters you are describing sound like brine shrimp and hydriods, both good snacks for fish once you add them.

Archived