Cultivated Reef

Calcium levels for SPS and LPS

bp_968

I currently have a Candy Cane coral I have kept for about 2 months now and I JUST got a calcium test kit(salifert). My Calcium level is 300ppm. Is this ok for Montipora, Acropora, or clams? I have a 5.5g nano with a 70w MH lamp and a small auto topoff. Whats a good solution for raising the calcium levels if I need too. I tested my PH at 8.4 today as well (lights on for an hour).

Thanks!

Ben

This is more a question for the beginner or general discussion forum. And even then, you can find the answers to both questions by doing a search on this site.

yea that one is pretty easy even your test kit should say what desired levels are

450 Ca 10-12 Dkh

add calcium and add buffer on differnet days to slowly bring it up

The main question was what cheap additives work well? I did a search for limewater and couldn't find what I was looking for. I've read baking soda is a good one for raising alk levels.

Korbin, your post was basicly useless. If you have no information to add why waste bandwidth and storage space with a post like that? Are you REALLY so bored?

Sorry I posted a question about keeping SPS/Clams in the section labeled for such questions.

bp

I added information - that the search button can be used to find the answer. And it took less bandwidth to tell you to use the search button that it would to type out what additives are used for what. And yes, I'm incredibly bored right now.

:P anyway - Limewater (calcium hydroxide) is good to mix up in a saturated solution (about 2 tsp per gallon) and use as an additive to your topoff. It will replace calcium and alkalinity in the same ratio that your corals use it. It will also increase your pH fast, so its best to meter it out over time (thats why you put it in your topoff). Metering it out also helps keep your levels stable (which is good for a 5.5 gallon tank). It can be bought for $11 in a little jar at the LFS or $1.30 for a big can at walmart or kroger. Look for Ball's pickling lime or Mrs. Wages in the canning section.

To raise calcium, calcium chloride (kent turbocalcium or DOW deicer, they're the same stuff basically) is a good choice. It won't raise your pH too fast.

To raise alkalinity alone, baking soda is good, and washing soda is better. But washing soda will make your pH skyrocket. Some people mixe washing/baking soda in a 6:1 ratio (that's what Kent Superbuffer is). Baking soda can be bought anywhere - its just Arm and Hammer.

I think calcium in the 400's is good for SPS and clams, and an alk anywhere around 9 to 12 dkH. Although I haven't seen any bad effects on my critters from going outside those values (never for an extended period of time though). The key is stability. Getting your parameters where they should be and keeping them there long before you get any SPS or clams is vital.

Although it's not the cheap alternative you are looking for, I would still greatly suggest ESV B-ionic. For your size tank, It really won't be much, but still more expensive than the other alternatives discussed.

And as far as Korbin's first comment, I think it is more than justified. If you have a Salifert test kit you should already have this information as it is listed on the instructions. You can see it on this link http://www.reefgeek.com/images/instruction...ert/calcium.jpg

Thanks for all the info, and korbin, I just kind of got rubbed the wrong way with that first comment, sorry to jump your case. It sounds like the best idea is to get it where I want with B-ionic and keep it stable with Limewater, while watching my PH closely.

sound like a plan?

Thanks again.

Ben

Archived